My weekend was a perfect mix of old friends and family with new announcements and stories to share. And my workweek began with winning an office raffle, plus unexpected praise. March has been pretty good to me (despite my absolute shit excuse for a bracket). Back to those positive vibes:
- Easter: Obviously. Sunday’s celebration will be bittersweet — I’d love to spend time with relatives, but I’m content to share it with my NY family. And Reese’s eggs. Lots of ‘em.
- “Wicked Single”: I’m judging myself plenty, but hear me out. This show is supremely silly, chronicling Bahstahn singles getting crazy. I adore Chubs, and poor Nikki can’t stay standing for even half an episode.
- Mean Mad Men: Until “Mad Men” returns for its sixth season April 7, the pop culture gods give us this crossover. “Mean Girls” quotes, imagined by our Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce faves. That is so fetch!
- Vampire Weekend – “A Punk”: I’m admittedly biased because it mentions my ‘hood, but just try to listen to this song and not swoon. Still grumpy? Watch the video — you’ll either smile or seize.
Despite the end of the Olympics, I am hanging in there. (The viral meme of McKayla Maroney and BuzzFeed’s post-Olympic coverage help.) Onto new obsessions we go:
- Shark Week: I’ve never really gotten into this annual obsession with all things sharky, but it’s the 25th year of scaring people out of the water so I figure it deserves a nod. Duuun-dun, duuun-dun.
- Slick Rick: Today is the 17th anniversary of my dad’s stroke, and about the zillionth day I’ve been thankful for his survival. Here’s looking at you, big guy. You’re a total BA.
- Best of the Bay 2012: Creative Loafing’s contest returns with the chance to name your local favorites. Hint: I know a really good blog … plus this food blog, brewery, non-profit and photographer.
- Beauty and the Beat: Many thanks to my friend, Jonathon, who introduced me to this parody of a Disney classic. Ghetto fab and fun, it’s the best of both worlds — unlike that Hannah Montana chick.
The sun is shining; the birds are singing … oh, who am I kidding? It’s hump day, kids. That means it’s time for this week’s objects of my affection:
- “Call Me Maybe” – Carly Rae Jepsen: Don’t you worry — I’m judging me enough for all of us. Something about this song (consecutive weekends of interstate driving?) has me in love with this sickly sweet pop song. I die.
- But You’re Like Really Pretty: This graphic celeb-gossip site is reminiscent of Betches Love This, but with an extra punch of “Mean Girls.” Get on board now, betches.
- “Mad Men”: Yes, it’s season five and I’ve finally started watching. I’m completely enamored, though, if it’s any consolation. And thank G for the interwebs so I can catch up on past seasons.
- Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel: My girl crush for the Zooster is no secret, and SNL captures her so perfectly. Check out last week’s sketch with Sofia Vergara, and one with ZD herself.
P.S. Gotye is having a pretty major week — featured on “Glee” and he’s SNL’s musical guest.
I’m revoking my Adult card as we speak.