It’s been a hellish few days of crap-tacular catastrophes, but I’m still standing. I know, I’m surprised too. What better way to celebrate than with a Yankee, milestone, bottle of vino and scorned-woman anthem? Let’s get to it:
- Raúl Ibañez: My hero, my muse. Though he struck out last night to end a nail-biter against Detroit, the Yankees wouldn’t even be in the ALDS without him. I still believe in you, champ.
- Blogiversary: I’ve been so wrapped up in the MLB playoffs and FFL and insertacronymhere, I totally missed the 2-year birthday of Wittyburg.com! I’m gonna make a great parent. Thank you, a million times over, for taking part — whether you’re just joining or have been here since day one.
- Mark West Pinot Noir: I couldn’t quite believe I’d never nodded to the best Red of all time,* but I double-checked through my billions of posts.* Smooth, rich and slightly sweet, Mark West has all you need for a perfect boyfriend.
- “You Don’t Own Me”: Thank God for countless replays of “The First Wives Club” on Oxygen, so I could be reminded of SJP’s second-greatest work. The closing scene with Midler, Keaton and Hawn belting this jam gets me every time.
Doesn’t it just make you want to buy a white suit? No? Weird.
*This may be a slight exaggeration.
It’s that special time again, when I share five recent pictures and try to not be so lazy with my life. Consider it my birthday present to you, dear readers.
Obligatory crappy fireworks shot; building isn’t on fire — this isn’t San Diego
Real life: Holly testing our friendship with Gronk and LeBron praise
It’s the official weekend now, so get out and celebrate it! I’ll be spending mine with the college bestie and my hairstylist (finally!) … nothing like the 6th of July to get people excited about freedom.
Today is my 25th birthday, and I’m overcome with a mix of feelings. I’m happy for this annual celebration’s arrival. I’m anxious over what the next year will bring. And, I’m pensive about this past year’s decisions and dreams that shaped where I am today. My emotions are complicated enough, so this week’s obsessions are simple:
- Fireworks: No 4th of July celebration is complete without booms of the rocket’s red glare — although they’ve been canceled enough years for me to know that life does go on. Here’s hoping tonight’s show is spectacular.
- New York Yankees: This isn’t a new obsession by any means, but I’m celebrating my freedom to cheer on the boys in pinstripes versus the Rays today. It doesn’t hurt that I met manager Joe Girardi yesterday. Life complete.
- My Mani: Colorful and sparkly, this quick nod to ‘Merica has had me smiling all week. It’s only slightly distracting as I type, but beauty is pain, right?
- Office Rah-Rah: My company does a great job of celebrating birthdays with ridiculous decorations and spirit. Derek Jeter, yellow mustard and a bottle of wine from a good friend … what more could a girl want?
Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th with your loved ones. Take a moment to thank the servicemen and women in your lives, and remember those who sacrificed everything for our freedom.
Oh, and happy birthday, America (and me)!
Katy, I always feel like a plastic bag.
- Leap Year Day: Google used a wonderful doodle, honoring composer Gioachino Rossini and the Animaniacs! It’s also the day when Irish women can flip the switch and propose to their men. What’s not to love?
- Tampa Bay Beer Week: Saving grace for living in Tampa No. 1 = A bevy of beer events hits the bay this weekend for the first-ever festival of hoppy heaven.
- A New Haircut: After reading confessions from Meet the Buttrams, I couldn’t be more excited to see my hair goddess, Lauren, for a new look tomorrow. Praise it!
- Spring Training: Saving grace for living in Tampa No. 2 = Spending lunch breaks watching the Yankees prep for the season ahead. The Boss says it’s OK — so you know it’s all good.
Sending a special shout-out goes to my cousin, Shannon, who celebrates her 24th birthday tomorrow!