The sun finally decided to show for longer than three hours this week, which can only mean one thing: Summer is (basically) here! No more jackets, no more tights, no more PANTS. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Summer Fridays: I couldn’t be more thrilled my office participates in this new-to-me tradition. Starting this week, we can leave each Friday afternoon to get the weekend going early. HALLELUYER!
- “Girl Code”: My roommate introduced me to this super funny female version of MTV’s “Guy Code.” Topics covered include: girls’ night out, the gyno, working out and so much more. New episodes air Tuesdays at 930 and 1030 p.m. EST.
- Memorial Day: This weekend is extra-long thanks to Monday’s observance of those who’ve sacrificed their lives in the line of duty. I’d like to say I’m doing something meaningful, but I’ll probably just be raising a glass from a rooftop party.
- “Cruel Summer” – Ace of Base: The ol’ iPod shuffled this to the top of my playlist this week, so I’ve naturally put it on repeat each day. I prefer it to the Bananarama version, but I’ll give you two scoops just for being here.
This week is going by entirely too slowly. I met friends for a round (or four) last night, and none of us could believe it was only Tuesday. What is it about hump day that we can’t seem to get over? The world may never know. In the meantime …
- Hale & Hearty: Since the weather refuses to cooperate and I’m wearing a coat in May, this soup staple is a Godsend. The oyster crackers alone make the literally three-minute walk worth it.
- Investigation Discovery: My roommate got me hooked on this truly disturbing channel, featuring such shows as “Dates from Hell” and “Wives with Knives.” I can’t wait for the summer premiere of “Southern Fried Homicide.” Real life.
- Hunter Bell: Winner of this season’s “Fashion Star,” this little lady is a designer who understands what it takes to sell. I can’t wait to try her fit & flare dress, among countless others.
- “Will You Be There” – Michael Jackson: I’ve been on more conference calls than usual this week, and our waiting room music is reminiscent of this MJ classic. Just try and tell me you didn’t rewind the VHS at least thrice to hear it again.
This one’s for the ladies! (If you didn’t immediately think of Tina Fey DJing in “Baby Mama,” then I don’t know if we can continue this relationship.
Anyway, this week is dedicated to some pretty awesome — if not just plain entertaining — women. Before we begin: Don’t you dare forget to celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday! Now let’s continue …
- Birthday Girls: It’s my aunt Lori’s and cousin Kelly’s birthdays (today and Saturday, respectively). One’s a teacher, the other a nurse — I wasn’t kidding the other day — so they deserve as much cake and presents as they can carry.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Charlie McDowell’s ultra-entertaining commentary is on pre-order in book form! A recent fave? “I got another ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant when there wasn’t a fire!” –At least you have an airtight court case.
- Skinnygirl Margaritas: Bethenny Frankel, notably of RHONY fame, is the mastermind behind the Skinnygirl brand. So go on and keep raising a glass for Cinco de Drinko (minus the guilt)!
- “Girl on Fire” – Alicia Keys: If ever there was a women-kick-ass anthem, it’s this one. I prefer the Nicki Minaj “Inferno” version, but either way, it’s a powerhouse hit.
You can try but you’ll never forget her name.