The sun finally decided to show for longer than three hours this week, which can only mean one thing: Summer is (basically) here! No more jackets, no more tights, no more PANTS. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Summer Fridays: I couldn’t be more thrilled my office participates in this new-to-me tradition. Starting this week, we can leave each Friday afternoon to get the weekend going early. HALLELUYER!
- “Girl Code”: My roommate introduced me to this super funny female version of MTV’s “Guy Code.” Topics covered include: girls’ night out, the gyno, working out and so much more. New episodes air Tuesdays at 930 and 1030 p.m. EST.
- Memorial Day: This weekend is extra-long thanks to Monday’s observance of those who’ve sacrificed their lives in the line of duty. I’d like to say I’m doing something meaningful, but I’ll probably just be raising a glass from a rooftop party.
- “Cruel Summer” – Ace of Base: The ol’ iPod shuffled this to the top of my playlist this week, so I’ve naturally put it on repeat each day. I prefer it to the Bananarama version, but I’ll give you two scoops just for being here.
It’s too hot to type. My fingers are swollen and the keys have simultaneously gotten smaller. Presenting my required faves to beat this miserable heat:
Homemade popsicles; recipe here
Breezy fabrics in cool prints
Bronzer-moisturizer combo with built-in SPF
And of course, a summer playlist
Between this summer’s relentless rain and suffocating humidity, my face melts off daily and I’m in a piss-poor mood. What’s a girl to do? Stick head in freezer, sit in front of fan and crank up these tunes. Presenting Wittyburg’s Summer Playlist:
- Big Pimpin’, Jay-Z. Let’s get this started with a bang and ri-i-i-i-i-ide.
- Cruel Summer, Ace of Base or Bananarama. I prefer the AoB version, but whichever tickles your pickle will be just fine.
- Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett. Classic, classic, classic. Best enjoyed on the rocks with salt.
- Summertime, Kenny Chesney. Any song that mentions bare feet, bikinis and Yoo-hoo is a winner in my book.
- All of the Lights, Kanye West. From the sick thumping beat to Kanye’s classic way with words, this is my latest iPod fave for summer workouts.
- Boys of Summer, Don Henley or The Ataris. I love both versions and will happily raise a glass to these boiz.
- Summertime, Sublime. The livin’s easy in LBC (Long Beach County), and the boys of Sublime are just too cool.
- Tonight, Tonight, Hot Chelle Rae. I can’t get enough of this upbeat hook and melody. Currently obsessed!
- Summer Girl, Jessica Andrews. Her bumper sticker reads, “Drink till he’s cute.” Hello, life motto.
- Hot in Herre, Nelly. You can put a Band-Aid on my face anytime, Cornell Haynes, Jr.
- Summer Nights, Rascal Flatts. I may or not be biased with the Daytona reference … but it’s still a great tune.
- Summer of ’69, Bryan Adams. It’s the quintessential light-rock song that you know every (fifth) word to.
- American Honey, Lady Antebellum. Sickly sweet lyrics and a heavenly voice make it a go-to.
- Summer Girls, LFO. Those Lyte Funky Ones sure know how to drop a rhyme. Bonus points if you like ruby-red slippers and a bunch of trees; the great Larry Bird, jersey 33.
- Steal My Sunshine, Len. The video was filmed in Daytona (biased again), but the beat is more infectious than Herpes Simplex I.
- Blister in the Sun, Violent Femmes. Heard at every bar all summer long, you can’t argue with this classic. Now, what the lyrics are about … well, that’s debatable.
What songs keep your summer spirits up? Am I missing any that are must-haves when temperatures rise?
Memorial Day kicks off the start of sandals, swimsuits and surf (for the rest of the country … let’s be honest, that started four months ago in Florida). So, here are some of my favorite cocktail recipes to beat the heat with — little drink umbrella required.
“Cosmopolitan” Trendy Summer Drink
This was recently served at a friend’s going-away barbecue, and I couldn’t get enough. So light and refreshing!
- Orange, lemon or lime, cut into wheels
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup lemonade
- 1 cup light beer
- Add citrus wheels to a pitcher, then fill a third of it with ice.
- Add vodka, lemonade and ginger ale.
- Top with the beer.
Cherry Lemon Drop
My drink of choice this past weekend, this one will have you going back for seconds — and fifths!
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 bottle cherry vodka
- 1 bottle lemonade
- Superfine sugar, on a small plate
- Rub lemon wedge around the rim around each glass. Put wedge aside.
- Roll rim of the glass in superfine sugar.
- Shake off excess sugar over sink or trash can.
- Mix 1 part cherry vodka, two parts lemonade in glass. Top drink with lemon wedge.
Your summer just isn’t complete without the Spanish-inspired flavors of sangria. Delicioso!
- 1 bottle of chilled red wine
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 shot brandy
- 2 cups ginger ale or club soda
- Add ice to the pitcher first, and then pour wine into it.
- Squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon and orange into the wine.
- Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and add sugar and brandy.
- Add ginger ale or club soda just before serving.