I’ve had no shortage of distractions lately, so choosing just four finds this week was tough. In the end, throw what you know: a cute guy, a sport, a funny site and a lovable laugh riot.
- Bruno Mars: It’s safe to say my little crush on Mr. Mars has evolved into a full-blown frenzy of like, love. From his interview as a toddler with Pauly Shore to new single “When I Was Your Man,” I am in luuurve.
- Rugby: Any display of sport that involves a bunch of tackling and huddling is awesome. The fact that we’re attending a club rugby team’s date auction Friday is amazeballs.
- Shit Rough Drafts: Imagine the first drafts of your most beloved books, and there you have Shit Rough Drafts. Hemingway, Poe and Hawthorne have never sounded so good.
- The Lonely Island – “The Creep”: My obsession with The Lonely Island boys is ever-growing, especially when I rediscover gems like this one. I plan on using this move all weekend long.
I’m not the handiest of girls when it comes to DIY. The closest I get to “do it yourself” is “pay someone to do it for me and take credit for it later.” I’ve found a natural talent, though, and so I present my first ever how-to: not vomit on your desk.
Before you know it, you’ll be clocking out and vomit-free! Here’s how:
1. (A pre-project requirement) Get rip-roaringly drunk on a “school night.” Can’t remember your name? Good.
2. Text your mom at 1:30 a.m., requesting a wake-up call. This is key; you can’t rely on four preset alarms.
3. Grumble to your mother some six-point-five hours later that you’re awake. Forget to thank her for saving your ass.
Done and done.
4. Skip the shower, the makeup and all effort normally associated with work preparation. Well, brush your teeth — you’re not an animal.
5. Arrive at work in a haze, and then promptly head to Starbucks for a bagel and iced coffee. If you don’t work within walking distance of a Starbucks … oh, who am I kidding?
6. Put on a nice playlist — only soothing music will do. Adele is a must, as are Imogen Heap and Ingrid Michaelson. Stay far, far away from Adam Levine.
Don’t forget BBMak … duh.
7. Avoid all interactions with co-workers. They will only serve to annoy you, especially the crunchy lasagna guy.*
8. Cross your fingers for a space-time continuum, in which the hours pass like seconds. When that fails, cry to yourself a little.
9. Scheme with friends (note: people with whom you work and can actually stand) about which bars to hit later. If it’s Monday–Thursday, start again at step 1. If it’s Friday, no need to repeat the process!
See how easy that was? 9 steps later, and you conquered the workday like a boss.
Bonus video of the boss who helped revolutionize hip-hop: R.I.P. MCA
*An additional step, for the less fortunate than moi: Dry heave in the ladies’ room, silently praying the girl in the next stall judges you less for the gagging and more for your desperate need of pedicure.
Today marks my 10th straight day of work, and I’ve got to trudge through just ONE more before vacation! A few close girlfriends and I will set the high seas with Magz and her girls for three days of Caribbean bliss. Till that ship sails, here’s your weekly dose of dreamy:
Piña Coladas*: I am normally not a fan of frozen cocktails and will take my drinks on the rocks, thankyouverymuch. However, no island vacay is complete without this tall glass of frozen coconut and rum and deliciousness. Cheers!
Bright Nail Polish: Considering how clumsy I am, you probably didn’t peg me for a nail polish fiend. There’s just something I love about pretty polishes, especially in bright colors (before “fall” Florida weather arrives). I’m currently rocking blinding teal tips and kind of can’t stop staring at my digits.
“Freckles”: I’m a huge fan of Natasha Bedingfield’s unique voice, and this song is just too stinkin’ cute. My fair Irish skin is covered with “angel kisses,” so I’ve had a couple of decades to get used to what I’ve been given. I won’t return from the cruise with an awesome tan, but I WILL have approximately 800 more freckles. Wee!
Unplugging: One of my absolute favorite things about going on cruises is that you leave (most) technology behind. I won’t need my phone, email or Facebook for three full days — and that feels fantastic. Of course, I’m still bringing my iPod … how else do you expect me to sit in the sun without losing interest?
Here’s hoping I don’t have any catastrophes a la my travels to San Fran. I’m ready to be ON A BOAT (had to do it). Adios!
*I’m fully aware that the drink pictured is an Appletini. Just go with it.
We’re all familiar with the story of Alice and her time in Wonderland. You may have seen the Disney version as a child, or you may have been captivated by Tim Burton’s take. One thing’s for sure, either way: The girl’s got style.
From whimsical designs to high-energy lyrics, it seems like Alice and crew are popping up everywhere. Just today, I received an invite for a bridal shower that was Alice-inspired.
The Queen of Hearts is one of my favorite characters, and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Heads Will Roll” will make you want your own army. I added it to my gym playlist to keep me going — I just can’t stop moving when I hear a beat like this.
Betsey Johnson is known for her eclectic design aesthetic, and her watch collection is no exception. I received the silver version for Christmas, and I purchased this black one a few months later. Obsessed much? The numbers are too fanciful to pass up. Try eBay to snag your own at a great price.
Weddings don’t have to be stuffy affairs when you’ve got a bride with Alice fever. Though from different events, this cake and entryway are perfect for celebrating the child in us all.
Finally, this creation is just too amazeballs to not purchase. anthropologie rarely disappoints, and this one-lump-or-two lamp is a perfect conversation piece. I happen to know someone’s birthday is coming up … wonder who will be gifting this to her?
Whatever your take on Wonderland may be, can we at least all agree that Johnny Depp should only wear makeup as Captain Jack Sparrow?
I mean, is there really any comparison?
Bonus video: Since I mentioned him, I have to include The Lonely Island’s genius hit. Now back to the good part!