This week is going by entirely too slowly. I met friends for a round (or four) last night, and none of us could believe it was only Tuesday. What is it about hump day that we can’t seem to get over? The world may never know. In the meantime …
- Hale & Hearty: Since the weather refuses to cooperate and I’m wearing a coat in May, this soup staple is a Godsend. The oyster crackers alone make the literally three-minute walk worth it.
- Investigation Discovery: My roommate got me hooked on this truly disturbing channel, featuring such shows as “Dates from Hell” and “Wives with Knives.” I can’t wait for the summer premiere of “Southern Fried Homicide.” Real life.
- Hunter Bell: Winner of this season’s “Fashion Star,” this little lady is a designer who understands what it takes to sell. I can’t wait to try her fit & flare dress, among countless others.
- “Will You Be There” – Michael Jackson: I’ve been on more conference calls than usual this week, and our waiting room music is reminiscent of this MJ classic. Just try and tell me you didn’t rewind the VHS at least thrice to hear it again.
This one’s for the ladies! (If you didn’t immediately think of Tina Fey DJing in “Baby Mama,” then I don’t know if we can continue this relationship.
Anyway, this week is dedicated to some pretty awesome — if not just plain entertaining — women. Before we begin: Don’t you dare forget to celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday! Now let’s continue …
- Birthday Girls: It’s my aunt Lori’s and cousin Kelly’s birthdays (today and Saturday, respectively). One’s a teacher, the other a nurse — I wasn’t kidding the other day — so they deserve as much cake and presents as they can carry.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Charlie McDowell’s ultra-entertaining commentary is on pre-order in book form! A recent fave? “I got another ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant when there wasn’t a fire!” –At least you have an airtight court case.
- Skinnygirl Margaritas: Bethenny Frankel, notably of RHONY fame, is the mastermind behind the Skinnygirl brand. So go on and keep raising a glass for Cinco de Drinko (minus the guilt)!
- “Girl on Fire” – Alicia Keys: If ever there was a women-kick-ass anthem, it’s this one. I prefer the Nicki Minaj “Inferno” version, but either way, it’s a powerhouse hit.
You can try but you’ll never forget her name.
I’m tired and cranky … probably because I’ve been working so hard at forcing puns and relating sitcoms to everyday life. It’s a tough job, but I’m super qualified for it.
- Praying for Boston: What happened Monday was unthinkable. The world has responded with support as the families and citizens of Boston mourn. The Red Cross is also accepting donations if you’d like to give.
- Ferrero Rocher Raffaello: I’ve never been a huge fan of coconut, but my co-worker offered these little gems (as a coping mechanism, I’m sure) and I am in love. Careful: You won’t be able to eat just one.
- The Perfect Accent Rug: The apartment still needs decor touches here and there, most notably, an accent rug for my room. Enter Threshold for Target — a steal at $11 and works for every season.
- “Swagger Jagger” – Cher Lloyd: Something about this stupid song gets stuck in my head for days and just won’t quit. The singing cow commercial may or may not be to blame.