Music & Movies for the Holidaze
I’m not one of those people who can listen to Christmas music for weeks on end. Hi, have we met? My ears can only take so much fa-la-la before they fall off. The music (and movies) I do enjoy, though, are a mix of classic and contemporary:
Christmas Playlist – Some highlights from my 20-song Spotify list, which you can download here:
- “All I Want for Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey: Not a single person who saw “Love Actually” didn’t love the little girl’s rendition of this hit made famous by MC.
- “Auld Lang Syne” – Mairi Campbell: I first heard it during “Sex & The City,” but it remains a favorite during the winter season.
- “Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree” – Brenda Lee: If you grew up during the “Home Alone” era, then you have to include this in your mix.
- “This Christmas” – Chris Brown: He made this single before he hit RiRi, so I don’t feel as guilty (as I probably should) for loving it.
I’m really looking forward to the seasonal songs our church choir performs at midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but until then, this mix should do.
Christmas Movie Marathon – Because nothing says “Christmas” like explosions and an elf on a sugar high.
- “A Christmas Story” – You’ll shoot your eye out.
- “Christmas Vacation” – The Griswolds are the perfect example of what not to do.
- “Die Hard” – Yippee kay yay, mother …
- “Elf” – Elves’ four main food groups: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corns and Syrup.
- “Home Alone” – No explanation required.
- “Just Friends” – Ryan Reynolds had nothing to do with this decision.
- “Love Actually” – The perfect holiday movie to restore your faith in the world.
- “The Grinch” (the OG cartoon) – It wouldn’t be Christmas without the green one.
- “The Grinch” (remake with Jim Carrey) – Ron Howard’s directing genius continues.
Which movies and music get you into the holiday mood? Share your favorites to keep my spirits merry and bright!