I’m back, and so are some of my favorite fall shows — one, of course, being “New Girl.” In celebration of that and Zooey’s Cosmo cover spot, I present four finds from her fabulous site: Hello Giggles. Shout-out to my dear friend April who introduced me to it!
- Illustrated Tweet of the Day: Don’t you wish the best tweets had awesome illustrations to accompany them? Your wish is artist Maritza Lugo’s command. Simply genius!
- Nails of the Day: This daily pick of the best in mani mania always makes me smile. I particularly love this homage to “The Powerpuff Girls” — who didn’t love Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup?
- Why I’m Insanely Jealous of Fantasy Football: I imagine this is how many of my female friends feel about FFL, and I applaud contributor Jessie Rosen for her take on the “sport.” Lord knows we all get a little crazy this time of year.
- Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Aside from it being one of the most annoying words to spell, rhythm is also responsible for some pretty dark deeds. Check out writer Kevin Matthews’s take here.
There are tons of other great finds, like How to Tell If Your Boyfriend Is a Scrub and A Petition to Dethrone Ice Cream as the Official Food of the Break-Up.
And the best thing about Hello Giggles is its stringent moderation of comments. Nothing negative is posted, and it’s all focused on celebrating the quirky girl in us all. Go forth and read, my friends!
The sun is shining; the birds are singing … oh, who am I kidding? It’s hump day, kids. That means it’s time for this week’s objects of my affection:
- “Call Me Maybe” – Carly Rae Jepsen: Don’t you worry — I’m judging me enough for all of us. Something about this song (consecutive weekends of interstate driving?) has me in love with this sickly sweet pop song. I die.
- But You’re Like Really Pretty: This graphic celeb-gossip site is reminiscent of Betches Love This, but with an extra punch of “Mean Girls.” Get on board now, betches.
- “Mad Men”: Yes, it’s season five and I’ve finally started watching. I’m completely enamored, though, if it’s any consolation. And thank G for the interwebs so I can catch up on past seasons.
- Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel: My girl crush for the Zooster is no secret, and SNL captures her so perfectly. Check out last week’s sketch with Sofia Vergara, and one with ZD herself.
P.S. Gotye is having a pretty major week — featured on “Glee” and he’s SNL’s musical guest.
I’m revoking my Adult card as we speak.
Whether you’re new ‘round these parts or have been a devoted follower since the beginning, you’re likely aware that 2011 has had its fair share of ups and downs. And while I normally avoid looking to the past too much, it’s only appropro that I recount this year’s memorable moments.
- Reminded myself why I’m not a construction worker.
- Switched to full-time salary at work, meaning I get health insurance and benefits!
- Celebrated VD Day with a close friend, pizza and wine … lots of wine.
- Had Jimmy fixed three times in one week, marking the beginning of a year full of repairs.
- Celebrated Slick Rick’s birthday with a spring training game for the Yankees.
- Crumpled my March Madness bracket by round 2 and lost my marbles.
- Brother proposed to Almost Sister, and they set a date for November 2012!
- Continued my clumsy ways in the world, and surprisingly, did not end up in the hospital.
- Drove back to the Dirty for some pinochle and family time over Easter weekend.
- Watched my cousin, Shannon, graduate from Stetson University — way to go, cuz!
- Dropped more moolah on repairs for Jimmy.
- Toasted Memorial Day with a salute to summer.
- Laid our beloved dog, Sandy, to rest.
- Began early-morning workouts and continued my reign of clumsiness.
- Celebrated my birthday, developed deeper road rage and used glitter to keep myself sane.
- Introduced Weekly Obsessions and Witty in Fitty to keep things phresh to def.
- Commemorated the 16th anniversary of my dad’s stroke.
- Traveled to San Francisco for the first time and absolutely fell in love.
- Traveled to Chicago for the first time and cheated a little bit on San Fran.
- Was a bridesmaid for good friends in a beautiful wedding overlooking the beach.
- Remembered the lives lost in our nation’s biggest tragedy.
- Cheered Brother on in his 300th beer at The Brass Tap, and celebrated his birthday in style.
- Cruised to the Bahamas, and had a belated birthday celebration for Magz.
- More repairs for Jimmy ensued.
- Became completely enthralled by Zooey Deschanel.
- Found Pinterest, and life ended as I know it.
- Disguised myself as your favorite local insurance agent for Halloweenie.
- Gave thanks over 30 days, reminding myself of all that I’m blessed to have in my life.
- Attended back-to-back weddings and celebrated the love these couples share.
- Jimmy returned to the shop, and he made his first trip to a body shop.
- Wrote a very detailed letter to Santa and decked my halls.
- Was selected Rookie of the Year for my company — fantastic surprise.
- Rediscovered my love for all things ballet.
- Concluded my all-star reputation with the auto shop … and more repairs for Jimmy.
If you’re still with me, then you can see that this year was nothing short of a roller coaster. I’m hopeful for what 2012 will bring, and I’ve got a few resolutions up my sleeve to make it a better year than this one.
Many thanks to all who read and comment and share — you are my everything.
Till next year … Cheers!
It’s November, people. NOVEMBER. I feel like 2011 just began, and yet here we are … just days after Halloween, so Christmas is like, next week already. God help us all.
This week, I’m all about celebrity gossip. OK, it’s not all that different from every other week, but this “news” has just been the crème de la crème.
- K+K forev … oh, no — for 72 days. If you were surprised at all by this, you should consider getting a helmet for the bumpy road of life you have ahead.
- JSimps is preggers. As a good friend noted, it makes you wonder what Bible-thumper Joe Simpson thinks of both his divorced daughters having children out of wedlock.
- LiLo got her teeth fixed. I considered being a cracked-out Lindsay for Halloween, but I couldn’t damage my pearly whites to the extent she had. Thank G she finally fixed ‘em up.
- Biebs hit with paternity suit. That’s right; America’s Sweetheart has been accused of fathering an illegitimate lovechild. I can’t wait to see how this one unfolds.
On a non-gossip note: “Top Chef: Texas” premieres tonight, and I couldn’t be happier. Give me Padma and Tom over Simon and Paula ANY DAY.
WO has a new look ’round here, you may have noticed. The reason for this redesign? It’s WITTYBURG’s 1ST BIRTHDAY! Hard to believe that I started this a year ago, with just an idea and a penchant for sarcasm. Many thanks to all of you who’ve supported me this past year … and here’s to many more!
- “New Girl”: My girl crush on Zooey Deschanel continues. Just reading her character’s rental application had me in stitches.
- Celebrations: I think a blogiversary™ is a damn good reason to say way-hooo! Plus, this song has been in my head for a week, thanks to co-workers. Jerks.
- Breast Cancer Awareness: October is in full swing, so all you ladies should be checking your ta-tas. Think Pink, girls!
- Funfetti Cake Batter Fudge: I love to bake, and this Freshly Pressed fudge recipe’s classic cake-batter flavor is enough motivation for me to whip up a batch.
Poppin’ bottles tonight to commemorate the big … 1. Only God and CathyMay15 can judge me.
I have a total girl crush on Zooey Deschanel from her roles in movies like “Elf” and “Failure to Launch” (literally, the only reason I dug the latter). But this quirky beauty has another side gig, among movies, a hit TV show, Cotton commercials and being the face of Rimmel: indie band She & Him.
Paired with guitarist M. Ward, Deschanel’s voice soars through both original and cover songs that will make you smile. She has contagious energy, and Him is a showman through and through.
Some of my favorite singles include:
- “I Put a Spell on You” (I was obsessed with “Hocus Pocus,” but that’s a separate discussion)
- “Me and You”
- “Dream a Little Dream of Me”
Grooving to these guys makes even the worst Case of the Mondays pretty bearable. They may even turn this Scrooge into a fan of Christmas music … maybe.