Here we are, another Wednesday come and (mostly) gone, and what do I have to show for it?
Y’all, I am beyond tired from what I believe are adult onset allergies, plus the fear of serving jury duty, and a little thing called “work-life balance” going out the window. When meditation isn’t enough, I’m finding furry friends to soothe my soul.
Thankfully, the fine journalists at BuzzFeed (WINK!) have curated plenty of scrollable content to ooh and ahh over.
Some recent fave finds:
- 45 Dog Memes Guaranteed to Put You in a Good Mood
- It’s International Sloth Day So Look at These Slow Precious Babies
- And the seasonally relevant 18 Dogs Who Completely Won Halloween
Now, don’t you feel better? Point me to your favorite posts so I can peep them when I can’t sleep tonight.
Just when you think reality can’t get any scarier, something like the Manchester bombing happens — at a freaking Ariana Grande concert. And we all stop… and maybe we post about how terrible it is; maybe we donate money to help the victims (conversion chart here); maybe we put others before our own needs for a few minutes… and a day or a week or even a month may pass. And then something insane happens — again — to innocent people. Whether that’s as senseless as a terrorist attack or as critical as ensuring healthcare coverage, how are we ever able to feel like the future isn’t futile? If you have an answer, please do let me know. Here’s what’s helping me cope in the meantime:
- Mister Rogers: I read this series of tweets last night and promptly cried my eyes out. Happy tears, but tears nonetheless. Entertainment Weekly writer Anthony Breznican recaps the time he happened to meet Mister Rogers in an elevator, then proceeded to have a neighborly conversation about loss. It’ll pull at all of your heartstrings, and hopefully remind you how light can be found in the depths of darkness.
- Service Dog’s Yearbook Photo: I couldn’t possibly talk about coping without including some four-legged friends. Alpha is AJ Schalk’s service dog, and 10/10 would recommend him for being a good pup. AJ asked his high school’s yearbook staff if Alpha could be included, since he’s clearly a vital member of the student body, and they happily obliged. Is that not the happiest lil’ fella you’ve ever seen?
- 25 Hilarious and Wholesome Tweets: Are you sensing a theme here? Whatever your stance on BuzzFeed as an information source, I will forever appreciate the site for its ability to make me smile. These tweets are each sweet and simple, and should bring a smile to your face as well. If not a smile, then perhaps some Chloe side-eye?
- “Here Comes the Sun” – The Beatles: I can’t think of another song that almost immediately brings me to tears each time I hear it. Again, they’re happy tears, and sometimes it’s just a glimmer of a tear, but something about the melody and uplifting lyrics puts me in a bubble-wrapped glass case of emotion. It reminds me of my dad; it reminds me of hope; it reminds me there are better days ahead.
This week’s finds have a bit of a recurring theme, but don’t get your hopes up for a new addition anytime soon. I simply find our four-legged friends to be a constant source of cuddly comfort and joy… that’s all.
- Marniethedog: This Instagram celebrity has 1.6 million followers, so you know she’s doing something right. That dumpy tongue and the cutest little getups are just a few reasons why you’ll love her, too.
- Dilan & Farley: Photographer Ivette Ivens’s son and French bulldog were born on the same day and have been raised like siblings together in their Chicago home. Her photo series will melt your heart and make you smile (some images NSFW).
- Corgi Beach Party: Ain’t no party like a corgi beach party, ‘cuz a corgi beach party don’t stop. Orrrr something like that… But seriously, how can you not squee over the infinite cuteness? I may or may not need a hobby.
- “Ex’s and Oh’s” – Elle King: I’m sure you’ve all fallen for this gritty, soulful song by now — but just in case you haven’t, here’s my official endorsement of the platinum-haired powerhouse and her first megahit. Just try and listen without jamming along.