I thought it’d be fun to capture each month’s activities and milestones in a series called Witty Rewind. It may not be for posterity’s sake, but I hope you’ll enjoy looking back at the previous month with me.
After my Whole30 high, I sadly slipped back into some old habits. It’s to be expected given my “all or nothing” attitude, but I also tried not to beat myself up too much for it. I saw some weight gain after reintroducing bread and cheese, and I scaled back on formal workouts to focus more on a StepBet at work. I feel OK, but I’ll be experimenting with a “clean eating on weekdays” approach for March. [Miles walked: 88.29]
I slowed down on reading considerably, as I’ve had to use my morning commute more for actual work time. That said, I’ve still enjoyed devouring a mix of fiction and nonfiction, from beach reads to heavier topics. Find me on Goodreads to see the latest! [Books read: 5.5]
Some highlights from the shortest (but most social) month:
- Line dancing at The Saddle Rack for a dear friend’s birthday
- Waking up the next morning to continental breakfast and a PANCAKE MACHINE
- Hosting a Super Bowl party for that snoozefest of a game
- Volunteering with the Junior League of SF and AOII alumnae group
- Lunching with former colleagues on the rainiest day possible
- (Not a highlight) Being knocked out with exhaustion and missing two events
- Attending a JLSF yoga class for Galentine’s Day
- Finding a new dentist who didn’t lecture or belittle me
- Brunching with friends… and getting a peep show from an exhibitionist neighbor
- MONSTER JAMMING for the fourth consecutive year
- Starting the apartment hunt with one of my current roommates
- Hosting Book Club as we discussed “The Last Mrs. Parrish”
- Seeing “FRIENDS LIVE!,” a drag parody of the iconic sitcom
- Celebrating the Lunar New Year parade from our annual Irish pub spot
- Toasting to many birthdays, engagements, babies, and work accolades
That about does it for me. Can you believe it’s already March?! Madness, I say 😉🏀
☠️ MONSTER JAM with one of my faves ☠️
I had an influx of ideas for obsessions this week, probably because I’ve been on a spree of volunteer and social events lately. The good news? There’s no stopping in sight. The bad news? I’m running on about five hours of sleep and am not entirely sure this will all make sense 😛
- #Brangelina … Meanwhile, Amal Fights ISIS: I was in an inevitable BuzzFeed rabbit hole last night and, naturally, read George Clooney’s off-guard response to the #Brangelina divorce. I was extremely proud to see the related article BuzzFeed suggested was about Amal Clooney (née Alamuddin) and her fight against ISIS. Talk about girl power.
- AOII Alumnae in San Francisco: In case it wasn’t painfully obvious in yesterday’s post, I’ve thrown myself into some social organizations recently. I’m thrilled to join my sorority’s alumnae board in SF as Vice President, and I’ve already enjoyed getting to know more sisters in the area. Check out our FB page to see what we’re up to and learn more 🙂
- Junior League of San Francisco: Another fantastic organization I’ve joined as a Provisional (first-year) member is the Junior League of SF. From volunteering to social events and community programs, I couldn’t be more pleased to be connected to such an inspirational group of women.
- “Closer” – Chainsmokers f. Halsey: In my humble opinion, any song that inspires a flood of memes is worth a listen. I swear, I’m not into EDM — I’m too old for it anyway. But with a catchy beat and ridiculously fun lyrics, this one’s getting played out like it’s my damn job.
Back with a vengeance after one whirlwind week of squatting in the city, and 2013 is already proving to be a year of blessings. Here are four distinct reasons why:
- A New Cousin: My eldest cousin, her husband and their beautiful two-year-old welcomed a son into the world today. Congratulations to the first boy of their branch and many more firsts to come!
- An Old Bond: Alpha Omicron Pi celebrates 116 years of sisterhood today, and I’m thrilled to be in the city where it all began. We’re set to reopen our Alpha Chapter at Columbia University this month too.
- A New York Address: My roommate and I received word today that our application for an apartment in Manhattan was approved! All the stress and craziness was bound to result in finding a perfect place to start our lives in NY.
- A Florida Friendship: What little sanity I have left is all in thanks to my good friend from high school and his roommates, who’ve let me sleep on their couch till I get settled. My first tagged FB picture says it all — he’s a gem.
Man, it feels good to be back.