Have you heard? According to endless social posts, Florida is flooded and California is thirsty. Oh, and New York is suffocating. Gotta love August in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
- Tab: How many times have you been out to eat with friends and struggled to split the bill? This handy app solves the pain point by allowing you to upload a photo of your receipt, split checks quickly and even calculate each person’s tip!
- essie Lilacism: Fun fact: I have about six essie polishes in pale purple, but I promise you that this one is the best. No matter the season, my mani is always complimented when rocking this shade.
- Trello: I’m going to totally geek out on you guys and gush about this collaborative organization tool. We use it at work to corral ideas and concepts together, but it could be used for brides, event planning, groceries … you name it!
- “Cheerleader” – OMI: I really, really, really didn’t want to like this song. But after a week of ear sabotage from Florida radio stations — including my Spotify mix — I can’t resist it any longer.
We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
I don’t know if it’s possible to put in any more hours than I have the past few weeks. Between my day job, freelance and getting the apartment in shape, I am le tired. Me, me, me. Wah, wah, wah.
Let’s make this quick, then, shall we?:
- Subway Time: If you’re like me and perpetually late, then this little app is a gem from the fickle MTA gods. Do you need to book it or can you take a Sunday stroll? Check how long you have to make your next train; available for select lines.
- My Life (So Far) Without a Date: It seems like everyone in my generation is happily coupled up, well on their way to marriage and 2.3 perfect kids. This piece from Refinery 29 excerpts Kate Heaney’s novel that reassures us solo riders that — hey, we’re pretty great (and normal).
- Cascabel Taqueria: Unlimited mimosas, spicy margaritas and other libations + tasty Mexican food + walking distance from my apartment = the perfect brunch. The Benedict dishes are served on cornbread. Need I say more?
- “Counting Stars” – OneRepublic: I really, really didn’t want to like this song. And while it still doesn’t make me want to buy a car or whatever other product it’s selling for the millionth time, I have to admit: I’m a fan.