It appears I’ve finally kicked this sickness — just in time for my dear friend Mike to take over SF this weekend! If I could sum up how his visit will be in one word, it’d be: FIERCE. So let’s do the damn thing:
- SNL40: I can confidently say SNL has had greater significance on my life than any other TV show, and I was so excited to see what its 40th anniversary special had in store. There were hits and misses overall, but nothing can take away from such a monumental night. Shine on, you crazy diamond.
- The Slanted Door: A friend of mine graciously offered up his reservations for this SF dining hotspot on the water. The views are gorgeous, and the food was delicious. Cellophane noodles with lobster, then churros for dessert? Don’t mind if I do.
- Ash Wednesday: It’s that time of year again, when we Catholics sacrifice something for 40ish days and nights in an effort to get closer to God. Not only is Ash Wednesday my favorite mass of the year, but it’s also a good reminder to keep improving, taking small steps at a time.
- “It’s My Party” – Lesley Gore: The legendary Lesley Gore died Monday after a battle with lung cancer, so this breakout smash is naturally on repeat. I vividly remember belting out these lyrics nonstop in my mom’s minivan, and I’m sure my parents were thrilled when I finally moved on to ruin another song. Spoiler alert: That song was likely “You Don’t Own Me,” also by Gore.
It’s Ash Wednesday, which is pretty exciting for this vice-ridden lady. I actually enjoy this yearly challenge to make a sacrifice — akin to Jesus dying for our sins — and blast it all over the Internet. So let’s get to it!
- Bye-Bye, Seamless: My wallet (and waistline) will definitely thank me after giving up this food-delivery service. I may or may not have shed a tear when I deleted the app, but I already know it’s the right move to make.
- Hi There, AdvoCare: In addition to a yearly sacrifice, I try to start doing something new. This time, it’s a cleanse system to help me get reenergized and handle the daily stress that seems to just bring me down.
- See Ya, Self-Loathing: If you couldn’t tell, I’m trying to focus on health and wellness goals I’ve neglected for … ever? This includes my aggravation with the scale, and instead focusing on the victories I achieve.
- Hello Again, Church: I haven’t been to mass regularly for some time, so it’s only fitting I recommit to my faith and get that weekly dose of wine. I’m looking forward to reestablishing this positive routine.
That was as cathartic as confession — hope all my fellow Lenten lovelies are just as motivated and cleansed!
Between GRAMMY Awards, the pope resigning, Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday, it’s already been an eventful week! Oh, and VD Day is tomorrow. Joy of joys — I’ll be celebrating this Galentine’s Day with my truest loves: Mark West and ’90s rom-coms.
- This Article: Many thanks to Thought Catalog for providing “15 Things to Keep Doing In Your 20s,” an undeniably selfish manfiesto for my generation to follow. Because we only get this decade to use “figuring it out” as an excuse.
- Macy’s Go Red: Use hashtags for good and tweet, pin, post or share something red with #MacysGoesRed. Macy’s will donate $2 to the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women cause every time — up to $250,000.
- “Bossypants”: Of course, Tina Fey is synonymous with smart humor. I finally got around to reading her much-celebrated book and devoured it in two short sittings. If you haven’t already, treat yo’self to it!
- Kid Weatherman: Just try to make it through this delightful forecast without bursting into laughter. My personal favorite? His enthusiasm for the upcoming Cub Scout winter camp weekend.
Open wide for this week’s spoonful of senility:
- Ash Wednesday: It’s that special time of year when smudged foreheads are common and we Catholics have Fish Fry Fridays — happy Lent, everybody!
- Tampa Bay’s 2nd Annual NEDA Walk: An organization I’m part of is sponsoring this annual walk for eating-disorder awareness. It’s this Saturday, Feb. 25, at Al Lopez Park — will you be there?
- Old-Lady Walks: When I need some time to myself (with Rachel), laps around the office lobby are in order. We channel our inner old ladies — now, if only we could wear neon sweat suits …
- This Song: The random song filling my mental jukebox all week long? “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?” Not sure where it came from, but sure wish it would leave.
I’m still trying to figure out what I’m sacrificing this Lenten season. Till then, I can’t help but celebrate National Margarita Day with my biffle, Jose Cuervo. Cheers!