Tomorrow is my birthday, which means I’d normally be in a constant mode of self-reflection and criticism and wondering if I’m where I “should” be. It only feels good in the moment, as if I’m “doing something about it,” but then leaves me in a tailspin of turmoil. What I find much more rejuvenating (and as a result, better for my skin!) is to live and let live. Look out, 32!
- Birthday, Unabashed: I’m a constant work in progress, always looking to learn and grow and evolve. All that pressure, though, is exhausting. When I take stock of things in my life, I am more happy than not. I am more at peace with my accomplishments and failures, my triumphs and trials, than I’ve been in a very long time. That’s something to celebrate.
- Self-Care Saturday: A big piece of my identity has been how low maintenance I aim to be. But, that’s often equated to me not taking care of myself in ways I actually do enjoy. So last Saturday, I had my makeup done by the magical Melinda at Sephora and my hair done by the genius Paul at Atelier Emmanuel, and I didn’t feel ashamed or frivolous or self-conscious for a single second 💁♀️
- This Map: The first gift this year was from my biggest fan, my Mom. Another selfish (in a good way) pursuit I’m working on is traveling more, and this scratch-off map will help ensure inspired planning. Spoiler alert: We already have tickets booked for Ireland in August, and I’ll be hitting up Germany’s Oktoberfest in the fall. Danke, Mama!
- “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo: I’m obsessed with Lizzo’s entire album, music videos, voice, body, ALL. OF. IT. This banger is far and away my favorite. I wake up with it in my head, I go to sleep with it in my head, I hum it in the shower, I’ve contributed to ~100 views of the video. Painting a pretty clear picture of my devotion, no? Some NSFW lyrics but I dare you to not love it.
Back to life, back to reality … which for me apparently means getting sick because, why not? Luckily, I was able to enjoy some weekend lovelies and am slowly on the road to recovery.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: What do two young women who share a love for sea otters do on a Saturday? They drive down to Monterey Bay to ooh and ahh at marine life for hours! I could see my niece having an absolute blast here, and there’s plenty to keep the adults entertained, too.
- Carmel Ridge Winery: After our time at the aquarium, we stumbled upon this little tasting room with sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean. The staff was so awesome and friendly, and the live music was fantastic. For just $10, we enjoyed a tasting flight of five different varietals — you can’t beat that!
- “Cecelia” – Simon & Garfunkel: You read that correctly. I am unabashedly obsessed with this song, and my friend blasted it mercilessly at my request during our weekend road trip. Don’t even act like you don’t love it, too.
- Atelier Emmanuel: I can’t believe I haven’t gushed about this place before! I’ve seen Nicole at this salon for six months, and she’s taken my hair to a whole new level. I never thought I’d embrace my strawberry blonde roots, but the staff at AE assure me it’s #flawless.