I’m back from a fabulous girls’ trip in Texas, and despite an amazing time away, I returned with unwanted souvenirs… I woke up in our AirBnb Sunday morning covered with welts that I feared to be bed bug bites.
A lot of Benadryl, bug sprays, laundry and itching later, and I’m finally seeing some of the bumps go away — not the ones on my face, of course. As you can imagine, it’ll be a long time before I trust AirBnb’s services again. In any event, here are four things that have helped keep me in good spirits:
- San Antonio River Walk: We walked all along this beautiful part of town, enjoying a plethora of food and drink options, plus a relaxing riverboat tour. We experienced a few bee swarms (I’m clearly a magnet for insects), but luckily, no one was stung. The weather was perfect, and I’d definitely recommend exploring if you’re ever in San Antonio.
- Austin’s Driskill Hotel: There were tons of places we were told to see in Austin, too, but the Driskill Hotel took my breath away. Stunning architecture, true Texan decor and delicious specialty cocktails made for an enchanting evening overall. Plus, I hear it’s haunted 😀
- Warriors Making History: The Bay Area is electric with the hot-hot-hot Warriors and their run to become the winningest NBA team ever. Fingers crossed they can take it to the house tonight and make history happen. I can’t afford tickets anyway, but I’ll be watching from my couch with sweaty palms and a cold beer.
- Brothers Prank Sister with Zombie Apocalypse: What good is having your sibling on post-op Novocain if you can’t capture their reactions on YouTube? The three Phillips brothers took advantage of their sister’s wisdom tooth surgery and pulled off a ridiculous zombie apocalypse prank. It’s no wonder the viral video has more than 9 million views.
Also, this is my 250th Weekly Obsessions post! I can’t quite believe it’s been such a long-running tradition, but I thank each of you who continues to read every week. Xoxo 🙂
As the first quarter of 2016 comes to a close, I can’t quite believe how much has happened. From weddings to babies, a Presidential circus and more, I’m eager — and a little terrified — of what the rest of 2016 will bring. Buckle up, folks:
- A Burrito Baby: Comedians and friends MK and Ella are doing their part to “keep Austin weird.” They recently released a gorgeous series of faux pregnancy photos, entitled “Burrito Makes Three.” Let’s be real, though: There are plenty of couples I could see doing this and being 100% serious.
- Lilica’s Puppies: Speaking of fun photo shoots, you may have heard about the maternity photo shoot for a dog — which was just about as cute as can be. Well, Lilica the dachshund had her puppies the very next day and now an all-new shoot was published with her FIVE adorable babes. All the feels and squeals.
- Wentworth Miller Speaks Out: Mental health is often a hush-hush topic, but the “Prison Break” star penned a post that’s making people talk. His response to a meme poking fun at his weight has been shared more than 200K times in two days, expressing his past struggles and present attention to assign meaning. Grab the tissues and read it for yourself here.
- Muir Beach Trail: One of my work teams completed this 5-mile trail hike on Friday, and let me tell you: It wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. Sweeping views of the Pacific, gorgeous scenery and an uphill trek that my phone logged as SIXTY-TWO stories… not a bad Good Friday at all, folks.