Welp, I know how Jeter must feel … this farewell tour has been exhausting.
But I’m so thankful for my supportive family and friends who’ve put up with me these last few weeks — I promise, the dragon lady will be extinct once I’m settled in San Fran!
Till then, let’s celebrate these four final New York obsessions:
- MTA: Oh, how I love to hate you. But when it’s all said and done, I am honestly amazed that 9.5 million people are transported via the subway, buses, LIRR, and Metro-North. Keep on keepin on’, Old Faithful.
- Times Square: See above re: love to hate. My NY experience would be nothing without the absolutely insane environment I face every workday. It’s magical to tourists for a reason, and I hope to enjoy visiting it in the future.
- Allison Turns 1!: OK, so she doesn’t live in New York, but she was born a Yankees fan so that totally counts. My favorite niece has brought nothing but joy and wonder to our family, and I can’t wait to celebrate many more years of her being adorable.
- DE-REK JE-TER: I searched the archives and have not specifically called out The Captain as an obsession. So there. His final home game is tomorrow, and his last at-bat will be in Boston Sunday. Regardless of wins and losses, I have nothing but love for my first-ever celebrity crush. Enjoy retirement, Jetes. You know where to find me.
Fall! October! Orange! Pumpkin! … What is it about this month that makes everyone lose their collective shit? Clearly, I’m not one of those people.* Riiiight.
- MY NIECE!: Yes, this is an all-caps situation. Allison Marie was born last Thursday at 7:56 p.m. Both she and my sister-in-law are doing well, and I can’t wait to see them (and Brother, too) soon!
- These Boots: Even though NYC’s weather isn’t cooperating, every new season requires new shoes. These Bandolino rider boots were 40% off with my discount, so of course I needed them in two colors.
- Leah & Sam’s Wedding: My dear friend celebrates her marriage Saturday, and I’m thrilled to be there for her. We’ll take in the Washington sites (possibly), and eat and drink for days (definitely). Speaking of DC …
- The Government Shutdown: OK, I’m obviously not thrilled to see Congress implode. But Jon Stewart’s rant below is pretty damn entertaining, and Jimmy Kimmel reveals just how clueless so many are. Shocking, I know. Whatever your stance, it can’t be argued: The downward spiral of American politics continues.
Poor quality, but the original one is no longer available.
*Did you count how many of those very things I featured? Amateurs.