This one’s for the ladies! Side note: Every time I say that, I think of Tina Fey’s scene in “Baby Mama” where she gets on the turntables and plays “Lady in Red” at a Manhattan nightclub.
OK, back to business:
- International Women’s Day: Yesterday’s worldwide celebration of women was, simply put, awesome. Whether you shared inspirational quotes, sentimental stories or simply a smile to the ladies in your life, I hope you had a lovely day 🙂
- Saraswati’s Hijab Transformations: Talk about talent — this Malaysian makeup artist uses her hijab and makeup to transform into pop culture icons, from Disney personalities to comic book characters. Check out more of her work on Instagram @queenofluna.
- Ipsy: My brother and sister-in-law gifted me this beauty bag subscription service for Christmas, and “obsessed” is an understatement. The bags are super cute and reusable, and I’ve already fallen for a few of the products. It’s better than Birchbox, in my humble opinion.
- Spotify’s Women in Music & Culture Playlists: My fave music service also got in on the International Women’s Day festivities. Spotify released 15 playlists from various genres, highlighting decades of iconic females. I’m really digging the Women of Pop and Women of Country compilations… what about you?
This one’s for the ladies! (If you didn’t immediately think of Tina Fey DJing in “Baby Mama,” then I don’t know if we can continue this relationship.
Anyway, this week is dedicated to some pretty awesome — if not just plain entertaining — women. Before we begin: Don’t you dare forget to celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday! Now let’s continue …
- Birthday Girls: It’s my aunt Lori’s and cousin Kelly’s birthdays (today and Saturday, respectively). One’s a teacher, the other a nurse — I wasn’t kidding the other day — so they deserve as much cake and presents as they can carry.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Charlie McDowell’s ultra-entertaining commentary is on pre-order in book form! A recent fave? “I got another ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant when there wasn’t a fire!” –At least you have an airtight court case.
- Skinnygirl Margaritas: Bethenny Frankel, notably of RHONY fame, is the mastermind behind the Skinnygirl brand. So go on and keep raising a glass for Cinco de Drinko (minus the guilt)!
- “Girl on Fire” – Alicia Keys: If ever there was a women-kick-ass anthem, it’s this one. I prefer the Nicki Minaj “Inferno” version, but either way, it’s a powerhouse hit.
You can try but you’ll never forget her name.