Happy New Year, you crazy kids!
Every so often, something life-changing happens that you can hardly think of anything else and want to shout it from the rooftops.
My excuse for this week’s obsession being “just” one thing? My sister-in-law is expecting another baby!
I didn’t think I could feel more joy than what my niece has already brought to our lives, but seeing her as a big sister will prove me wrong. Baby #2 is due right around my birthday, so I’m hoping for some good juju to share the celebrations with my future niece or nephew.
Wittyburg will return to its normally scheduled programming next week, but till then, squee with me!
The best part of a long weekend? Um, it’s a long weekend.
The worst part of a long weekend? It takes the rest of the week to figure out what day it actually is.
I’m 80% certain it’s Wednesday, so here you go, faithful followers:
- Treasure Island: A few days of sand and surf were more than enough to send me straight to relaxation station. You have to check out this idyllic vacation spot the next time you’re in Florida — I know I will!
- Allison’s Baptism: My niece, AKA the cutest child alive, was baptized this weekend and I’m honored to be her Godmother. Just look at that smile! She’s obviously perfect. And trouble.
- The Fault in Our Stars: This book deserves its own post, because I devoured it in less than 24 hours and felt all the feels. The movie looks interesting, too … even if I don’t like Shailene Whatsherface.
- “Not a Bad Thing” – Justin Timberlake: Well, JT does it again. I’ve learned that an earworm stuck in our heads for days is just his MO. The video is also great, because, you know, Jusssstin.
I haven’t felt as emotional about living in New York as I have today, the 12th anniversary of our nation’s deadliest terrorist attacks. The city that never sleeps is a little bit somber, but it’s also stronger. If you haven’t already, thank the servicemen and women in your life for their continued support. And with that, here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- These Guys’ Birthdays: It’s my godfather’s birthday, as well as my good friend Charlie’s. They’re some of my favorite fellas, and I’m so glad they’ve kept me around for years. Cheers, boys!
- Lazzara’s: Pizza There’s no better way to honor New York than with an authentic slice, and Lazzara’s is a new fave for just that. Their daily specials are great, and a half-size pie is perfect for a hearty lunch treat.
- 9/11 Memorial: My college bestie and I visited when she was here for Labor Day, and it was such a heavy experience (in a good way). The stories and perspective it offers are invaluable — I think it should be on every American’s bucket list. Visit the site for more info and how you can donate.
- “The Final Countdown” – Europe: We’re in the final weeks of waiting for my niece to arrive, so naturally, this anthem has played in my head on repeat. Fun fact: I sent my company’s entire NY office the below gif in an email … on purpose.
No lie — I heard Christmas music when I was at the mall yesterday. Does Thanksgiving even happen in this country anymore? Here’s what I’m using to fend off these Grinch-y tendencies:
- Daylight Savings Time. I didn’t appreciate you while I had you, and I’m deeply sorry. Please come back to me … leaving the office at 7 p.m. now feels like Threat Level Midnight.
- The color purple. Not the compelling Oprah movie, just the hue I’m suddenly craving. From nails to cardigans and everywhere in between, I can’t get enough grapey goodness.
- Ice packs. I may or may not have celebrated too hard at a wedding last weekend, which may or may not have led to a shoulder strain. These babies are helping me recoup for the wedding I’m attending this weekend — thank God.
- This little nug. No idea why, considering I’m not the biggest fan of babies, but this sweet angel face has had me laughing All. Day. Long. Almost makes me want one of my own … juuuust kidding.
And because I’m such a giver, here’s a song to get stuck in your head tonight: