We’ve already made it through a month of 2017, people! Can you believe it?!
I sure can’t, because these past four weeks have been so mentally and emotionally exhausting, I thought we were at least through May. My calendar still says “February 1,” so I’ll have to take its word.
- Santa Barbara: What’s the best way to escape all of your worries and problems? Get away. For reals. I’m thankful to have a dear friend who straight up asked my boss if I could skip town for a few days, and couldn’t be happier with the result of some time outside of reality. The pier, the people, the villa, the food (not in that order) were all incredible. I have a feeling I’ll be back again soon.
- Salt Cave: The highlight of our trip — for me — was spending time at Salt. We did a 45-minute “guided meditation” (a misnomer, as it was a barely audible recording that left us with 30 minutes of silence) in a full-on salt cave. We’re talking Himalayan salt on the walls, floor, ceiling! It was breathtaking and incredibly restorative to relax in a chilly room with purifying and calming properties. They also offer massages and yoga… yet another reason I see myself back in SB!
- Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble by Dan Lyons: A former co-worker recommended this book to me months ago and I finally dove in recently. It’s a fascinating look at the tech world I thought I knew, as Lyons is a lifelong journalist who’s laid off and begins working at a Boston start-up. If you can get through all of the intentionally annoying “awesome!” usage, I think you’ll enjoy. If nothing else, the perspective of a 50-something in a sea of 20-somethings is quite entertaining.
- ‘90s Playlist: Anyone who’s been in a car for more than an hour knows the importance of a good playlist. My friend and I are luckily like-minded musical geniuses, so we blasted all of the ‘90s nostalgia we could handle. From obvious faves like Backstreet Boys and Notorious B.I.G. to sometimes forgotten legends like Steps and M2M, these tunes actually made the six-hour drive fun.
… a puppy pile-up?
… grilled cheese and tomato soup on a rainy day?
… a date with Ben & Jerry?
… driving with the windows down and no destination?
I submit that there is not.
Valentine’s Day is almost here, which means love is in the air. Well, love and STDs. Naturally, this week’s obsessions are all inspired by VD Day and treats for your sweet:
- [Mail] Cards from The Oatmeal: When you care enough to send the very best, go somewhere else. If your partner has any semblance of a sense of humor, though, these are the way to go.
- [Eat] Lush Confections: This Tampa-based business combines two loves — dessert and alcohol — in one delicious truffle. I recently sampled the Irish Car Bombs, but the Sexual Chocolate would be perfect for next week. Shop on FB / on etsy.
- [Listen] Sweet Beats: Nothing quite says “romance” like jamz from Marvin Gaye, Color Me Badd, Boyz II Men and The Backstreet Boys.*
- [Share] Snarky Sentiments: If you’re not feeling the love, you can also send anti-valentine prints to express your disdain for it all. Thank you, social media!
Wishing you all a fantastic week leading up to Cupid’s Birthday (that is what we celebrate, right?).
If you’re lucky, you’ll soon get to read about my Valentine’s crafting disaster. That is, once the blood and tears dry.
*Swap out any of these for Adam Levine if your mate is tone-deaf.