After one of the best long weekends I’ve ever had, it’s safe to say my motivation for anything is long gone. That won’t really do, though, when you have 300+ work emails, four freelance assignments and a blog to upkeep! Wah, woe is me.
- Typhoon Relief: Take a moment to support the American Red Cross and its efforts to aid the thousands affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. It’s the least we can do, but it’s a little something to show support to those in need.
- Bill de Blasio: My first election season here was nothing if not memorable. Voters selected de Blasio, the first Democratic NYC mayor in 24 years, and I look forward to seeing what craziness will come.
- S’mores: First you take the graham; you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the ‘mallow. When the ‘mallow’s flaming, you stick it on the chocolate. Is there anything better than this childhood classic? My recent food choices would say, NO.
- “Applause” – Lady Gaga: I really didn’t want to like this song, but the reigning queen of quirky just pumps out those earwigs. Of course, the ridiculous Kia Soul commercial helps, too.
I don’t allow myself to get excited for any holiday until a week (maybe two) prior. It’s the nature of my job — planning content for the winter while suffering through July’s sweltering heat makes me grinchy. I’d rather stab Santa than read one more article about how to have a holly, jolly holiday.
But this year, something changed. I’m genuinely excited for the coming weeks, and it all begins with what used to be my least-favorite celebration: Thanksgiving. Try one of these Turkey Day recipes — some I’ve tested, others I’ve tasted. Enjoy!
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pie by Dreamy Desserts
- Bourbon Pumpkin Tart with Streusel Topping by Smells Like Home
- Thankful Rolls by The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Turkey Cupcakes by Spoonful
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread by Fever Avenue
- Pumpkin Pie White Hot Chocolate by Closet Cooking
- TV Dinner Cupcakes by Black & Eiffel
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread by Sunday Baker
Clearly, I have a sweet tooth. It’s only a problem if you make it one.