I acknowledge time flying by nearly every week here, but I just have to say, I was asked about my plans for the fall today and nearly had a full-blown meltdown. I understand June is creeping around the corner but THE FALL? Please, don’t make me think that far. I can barely plan my next hour.
- Overdrive: An added benefit to voraciously reading Refinery 29’s Monday Diaries is that I often learn about apps and services to make life easier. It’s how I heard of this app, and “obsessed” is an understatement. Simply log in with your library card and gain instant access to thousands of options. It’s my first actual foray into e-reading, but I’m beyond excited to dig into more books than ever before.
- MealPal: While I’d heard of MealPal while living in NYC, I hadn’t researched or revisited it since moving here. Then I read yet another R29 MD and, well, now I’m its newest member who’s enjoying $6 lunches (instead of $20 salads). Want a promo code? Sign up here.
- Half-Price Mondays: Memorial Day was the perfect backdrop to join some girlfriends from Tampa at the A’s/Rays game. And wouldn’t you know it? The Treehouse — a beautiful, shiny stadium spot with a full bar and games — offers half-price drinks on Mondays. No mustache required, and it almost made a 13-inning game painless.
- “This Is America” – Childish Gambino: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely already heard and watched this. Breaking news reporting over here, I know. But I haven’t covered it yet with WOs AND Cardi B brought it top of mind with her *shocking* discovery that Donald Glover and Childish Gambino are the same person. Pssst … the video is NSFW, in case you haven’t heard.
As of this writing, my sister-in-law will be induced any minute to begin delivery of my second niece… and I can’t contain my excitement! It’s been absolutely incredible seeing my first niece grow and develop over the past two and a half years, and I know she’ll be an amazing big sister. Baby will likely arrive tomorrow, but I’m celebrating now anyway. We won’t quite be birthday twins, but she’ll always be a firecracker in my eyes.
Here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- Anchor Brewing: One of my work teams visited this brewery for a tour last week, and it didn’t disappoint. My fave so far is the Meyer Lemon Lager — perfect for a sultry summer day. Anchor also has a spectacular setup at AT&T Park’s neighbor, The Yard, where you can enjoy craft drafts alongside America’s favorite pastime.
- 4th of July: Speaking of ‘Merica, it’s only fitting that we start celebrating its birthday (and mine) early. The US of A is turning 240, after all. I’ll be camping in Tahoe with my boyfriend and a group of great friends, but no matter what you’re up to, keep it classy and stay safe!
- A Wireless Weekend: And now, speaking of Tahoe, I’m pretty pumped to go off the grid for a few days. My cell reception will be spotty, which is just what I need for a bit of rest and relaxation. As long as my niece arrives before then, I’m OK with missing birthday notifications on my actual birthday.
- Miley Cyrus – “Party in the USA”: I know, I hate me too. But what better way to get the people going than with such poetic prose as “Noddin’ my head like yeah / Movin’ my hips like yeah”? It’s cheesy and awful but the perfect party earworm for Lady Liberty (plus, a hefty payday for Jessie J).
We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
It’s not been a particularly awesome couple of days for me, so I struggled to think of anything to obsess over this week. True to form, I found some inspiration in the liquor cabinet. Whoops.
- The Shot: A shot glass full of whiskey is all I need to make a night, well, right. I’m pretty sure my future husband’s name is Jack Daniels.
- The Beer: Brother will kill me for it, since it’s not a complicated combo of hops, but Sea Dog’s Blue Paw is my go-to brew. Bonus points if your local tavern adds fresh berries to your pint.
- The Wine: Vino and I have a love-hate relationship, but we’re currently in love, so just go with it. Give me a glass of Riesling, and I’m sure to be calmed and quieted in minutes.
- The Mixed Drink: Which one reigns supreme — The Dirty Shirley? The Margarita? The Bay Breeze? I’m a simple girl, and my all-time fave is a classic Vodka-Sprite with two limes. Yum.
Anyone else think the numbers kind of look like olives? Maybe I should have gone with a Dirty Martini …
So, what’s your drink of choice? New recipes are welcome, too — cheers!