I can hardly believe it’s been a week in Germany so far — so much has happened and yet there’s still time left to get into trouble (and out of it, naturally).
From Munich’s massive Oktoberfest celebration to the tiny Bavarian town of Mittenwald, a day trip to Innsbruck in Austria and now a local stay in Berlin, we’ve covered a ton of ground.
There have been some mishaps, as my traveling companion and I seem to be a magnet for issues; but we’ve managed to keep smiling and laughing our way through the frustrations.
To say I’m obsessed with Berlin, especially, would be an understatement. Here’s to the next few days of discovery and debauchery!
Guten tag! My German is limited but I’m about to get a crash course, as I just landed in Munich for a whirlwind trip.
British Airways had a steal of a deal, so I joined some friends and their friends for a full itinerary of Oktoberfest, sightseeing, day trips, Berlin, and (of course) all the beer and pretzels I can handle.
My body may not be ready but my dirndl sure is! Look out, Gracie Lou Freebush. I’m gonna play the shit out of those water glasses.
If you haven’t guessed already, I’m coming off 15 hours of travel so I’m going to take that as my excuse to get some beauty rest before the real fun begins 🍻🇧🇪🥨
I acknowledge time flying by nearly every week here, but I just have to say, I was asked about my plans for the fall today and nearly had a full-blown meltdown. I understand June is creeping around the corner but THE FALL? Please, don’t make me think that far. I can barely plan my next hour.
- Overdrive: An added benefit to voraciously reading Refinery 29’s Monday Diaries is that I often learn about apps and services to make life easier. It’s how I heard of this app, and “obsessed” is an understatement. Simply log in with your library card and gain instant access to thousands of options. It’s my first actual foray into e-reading, but I’m beyond excited to dig into more books than ever before.
- MealPal: While I’d heard of MealPal while living in NYC, I hadn’t researched or revisited it since moving here. Then I read yet another R29 MD and, well, now I’m its newest member who’s enjoying $6 lunches (instead of $20 salads). Want a promo code? Sign up here.
- Half-Price Mondays: Memorial Day was the perfect backdrop to join some girlfriends from Tampa at the A’s/Rays game. And wouldn’t you know it? The Treehouse — a beautiful, shiny stadium spot with a full bar and games — offers half-price drinks on Mondays. No mustache required, and it almost made a 13-inning game painless.
- “This Is America” – Childish Gambino: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely already heard and watched this. Breaking news reporting over here, I know. But I haven’t covered it yet with WOs AND Cardi B brought it top of mind with her *shocking* discovery that Donald Glover and Childish Gambino are the same person. Pssst … the video is NSFW, in case you haven’t heard.
As of this writing, my sister-in-law will be induced any minute to begin delivery of my second niece… and I can’t contain my excitement! It’s been absolutely incredible seeing my first niece grow and develop over the past two and a half years, and I know she’ll be an amazing big sister. Baby will likely arrive tomorrow, but I’m celebrating now anyway. We won’t quite be birthday twins, but she’ll always be a firecracker in my eyes.
Here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- Anchor Brewing: One of my work teams visited this brewery for a tour last week, and it didn’t disappoint. My fave so far is the Meyer Lemon Lager — perfect for a sultry summer day. Anchor also has a spectacular setup at AT&T Park’s neighbor, The Yard, where you can enjoy craft drafts alongside America’s favorite pastime.
- 4th of July: Speaking of ‘Merica, it’s only fitting that we start celebrating its birthday (and mine) early. The US of A is turning 240, after all. I’ll be camping in Tahoe with my boyfriend and a group of great friends, but no matter what you’re up to, keep it classy and stay safe!
- A Wireless Weekend: And now, speaking of Tahoe, I’m pretty pumped to go off the grid for a few days. My cell reception will be spotty, which is just what I need for a bit of rest and relaxation. As long as my niece arrives before then, I’m OK with missing birthday notifications on my actual birthday.
- Miley Cyrus – “Party in the USA”: I know, I hate me too. But what better way to get the people going than with such poetic prose as “Noddin’ my head like yeah / Movin’ my hips like yeah”? It’s cheesy and awful but the perfect party earworm for Lady Liberty (plus, a hefty payday for Jessie J).
We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
It’s not been a particularly awesome couple of days for me, so I struggled to think of anything to obsess over this week. True to form, I found some inspiration in the liquor cabinet. Whoops.
- The Shot: A shot glass full of whiskey is all I need to make a night, well, right. I’m pretty sure my future husband’s name is Jack Daniels.
- The Beer: Brother will kill me for it, since it’s not a complicated combo of hops, but Sea Dog’s Blue Paw is my go-to brew. Bonus points if your local tavern adds fresh berries to your pint.
- The Wine: Vino and I have a love-hate relationship, but we’re currently in love, so just go with it. Give me a glass of Riesling, and I’m sure to be calmed and quieted in minutes.
- The Mixed Drink: Which one reigns supreme — The Dirty Shirley? The Margarita? The Bay Breeze? I’m a simple girl, and my all-time fave is a classic Vodka-Sprite with two limes. Yum.
Anyone else think the numbers kind of look like olives? Maybe I should have gone with a Dirty Martini …
So, what’s your drink of choice? New recipes are welcome, too — cheers!