It appears I’ve finally kicked this sickness — just in time for my dear friend Mike to take over SF this weekend! If I could sum up how his visit will be in one word, it’d be: FIERCE. So let’s do the damn thing:
- SNL40: I can confidently say SNL has had greater significance on my life than any other TV show, and I was so excited to see what its 40th anniversary special had in store. There were hits and misses overall, but nothing can take away from such a monumental night. Shine on, you crazy diamond.
- The Slanted Door: A friend of mine graciously offered up his reservations for this SF dining hotspot on the water. The views are gorgeous, and the food was delicious. Cellophane noodles with lobster, then churros for dessert? Don’t mind if I do.
- Ash Wednesday: It’s that time of year again, when we Catholics sacrifice something for 40ish days and nights in an effort to get closer to God. Not only is Ash Wednesday my favorite mass of the year, but it’s also a good reminder to keep improving, taking small steps at a time.
- “It’s My Party” – Lesley Gore: The legendary Lesley Gore died Monday after a battle with lung cancer, so this breakout smash is naturally on repeat. I vividly remember belting out these lyrics nonstop in my mom’s minivan, and I’m sure my parents were thrilled when I finally moved on to ruin another song. Spoiler alert: That song was likely “You Don’t Own Me,” also by Gore.
There’s a phenomenon I hadn’t experienced until moving to San Francisco, known as Mercury in retrograde. This three-week period of time is said to wreak havoc on technology, communication and life in general … and it started today. Let’s try to put some balance back in our lives, shall we?
- Skellie @omgliterallydead: This viral Instagram takes all the millennialisms we love to hate and turns them into hilarious, filtered photos. This one’s caption? “Morning Yoga!! #yoga #yogaselfie #betterthancoffee #jk #nothingbeatscoffee #namastae #namastayinbed #om #flexible”
- Mr. Holmes Bakehouse: This SF bakery invented possibly the most delicious dessert craze ever — the cruffin. It’s a hybrid of flaky croissant pastry in the shape of a muffin, and the strawberries ‘n cream cruffin I had this weekend was pure heaven.
- Blue Apron: I don’t really know how to adult, but one of my goals this year is to gain more confidence in the kitchen (I can’t bake brownies for dinner forever). Enter this service, which delivers fresh ingredients and exciting recipes right to my door! I made my first meal with it last night, and I couldn’t be more proud.
- “Try” – Colbie Caillat: I can’t believe I haven’t featured this song yet, since it’s a constant star in my daily playlist. The video is powerful, and Caillat’s message is simple: You don’t have to change who you are, so long as you love yourself.