I’m back from a ridiculous, fun, amazing weekend in Music City and couldn’t be more excited to share my trip highlights with y’all. Saddle up:
- The Southern: This place came highly recommended for both brunch and dinner, so we moseyed on over after touring the Grand Ole Opry. The drinks were delish, the food phenomenal and the service stellar. Highly recommend checking it out — maybe even for more than one meal!
- Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum: I’m a total history nerd, and what better way to escape the sultry southern heat than step back in time and learn about country music’s roots? There’s a super cool exhibit chronicling Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash’s musical mojo, too. I dig it.
- The Listening Room Café: The now-canceled show, “Nashville” led plenty of people to the famed Bluebird Café. But within walking distance of Broadway is this fabulous venue with local musicians and satisfying menu selections. Tickets for the 6pm show were FIVE DOLLARS each. It doesn’t get much better than that.
- Rose Creek: Among the many talented musicians we saw this weekend, these guys were my favorite. They had great stage presence, were fun and engaging, and I even got a signed CD… you never know where they’ll be in a year! Check out their first single, “High,” here.
After months of planning and anticipation, my cousin’s wedding was absolutely amazing! The newlyweds ended the evening with a firework sendoff fit for a fairytale. I’m sort of back to reality while working remotely from Tampa this week — so here are four things I’m loving while in the 813. Are you surprised they’re all food-related?
- The Columbia: We celebrated my sister-in-law’s birthday Sunday at this iconic Ybor establishment. From mojitos to the 1905 salad to “good rice” that’s to die for, it’s no wonder this Cuban cookery has been a Tampa tradition for 110+ years. Don’t pass through Tampa without stopping by!
- Moreno Bakery: What birthday dinner would be complete without a towering, tantalizing cake? My SIL’s mom provided a fantastic Bananas Foster cake that left us all with sugar comas beyond compare. I’m actually drooling at the thought.
- Publix Subs: These things have a cult following for a reason. The PubSub is actually life-changing, and being so far from this grocery store makes them all that more special when I’m in Florida. Boar’s Head Italian FTW!
- “Sugar” – Maroon 5: Full disclosure: I actually can’t stand this song (or Adam Levine’s voice, still). But something about hearing it at a wedding — or when my niece is in the car — just gets the people going. Plus, the video is just the cutest ever (fake or not).
In the ongoing effort to make me a true resident of this great city, I am beyond thrilled to announce that I’ll finally have assembled furniture in my apartment tomorrow! No more air mattress, no more standing in the kitchen to eat, no more sitting on the floor … unless I’m feeling super hippy-dippy and want to do some yoga. PRAISE IT.
- The Freakin’ World Series: This city is electric with the hopes of a win tonight in Game 7 of the World Series. We may never be Royals, but I think that’s a good thing. Either way, I hope a parade is in the works!
- La Taqueria: My co-workers introduced me to this heavenly little spot last weekend, and I plan to go back for more soon. The carnitas hard-shell tacos were sheer perfection on a plate — no wonder it was named America’s Best Burrito!
- Halloweenie: Hellerrrr, my favorite holiday is Friday! How will I ever live up to the costumes of years past? Easy: I just won’t. I’m still stoked to host a good friend, visiting from San Jose!
- “Black Widow” – Iggy Azalea f. Rita Ora: Iggy absolutely KILLED it on SNL last week, and Rita is like the version of Rihanna I can actually stand. Plus, this tune is perfect for the spooktacular holiday!