Happy New Year! At what point is it no longer a “new year”? I hadn’t officially said it to you all … but isn’t it a little late to be wishing you well? Can you ever have enough well wishes? These are the things running through my mind at odd hours in the night. And here’s what else I can’t stop thinking about:
- Photo Doggies for Anthony: Have you seen a ton of cute pet pics all over your FB feed? This viral event has more than a million people supporting a young boy’s desire to see doggy photos between his leukemia treatments. The power of social media can be used for good! Who knew?
- Florida Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage: In other breaking news, Florida is finally on the front page for something positive! As of yesterday, the sunshine state has lifted its ban on same-sex marriage — and millions can rejoice in the legal recognition that love is love.
- Kurios: Cirque du Soleil: I had the pleasure of enjoying my first-ever Cirque show last night with this new-to-the-U.S. production. Breathtaking, dazzling, simply stunning … there aren’t enough amazing adjectives to describe what we saw.
- “Uptown Funk” –Mark Ronson f. Bruno Mars: I can’t think of a song in recent history that gets people moving as much as this one. It’s so incredibly catchy, with a crazy hook and contagious lyrics. Here’s hoping this dream duo continue to collaborate!
It’s been a tough week, you guys. I had the best time with Magz visiting, but she went home right before a good friend of mine here moved back to Florida herself. Couple that with the true New York experience of someone dying in my building, and all I can say is: Next week has to be better.
- Homejoy: I was thrilled to use a Groupon for this cleaning service before my mom’s visit. Sure, my place was clean — but nowhere near “mom clean.” I didn’t particularly love the woman assigned, but there are literally thousands of certified employees to work with in the future.
- “How I Met Your Mother” Finale: SPOILER ALERT! I hadn’t watched much of the last 2 seasons, but knew I had to watch Monday’s finale. I was underwhelmed (not just whelmed) and thought it was a total cop-out. DISCUSS.
- Bowling with the Bulls: My alumni group is hosting a bowling event tomorrow night at Bowlmor Union Square. All are welcome to help us celebrate the 2013 grads who’ve moved to NYC — check it out!
- “The Mother We Share” – Chvrches: A co-worker reminded me of this eclectic jam via one of his many applauded playlists. Makes it easy to zone out and forget about anything going on outside my own little bubble.