After months of planning and anticipation, my cousin’s wedding was absolutely amazing! The newlyweds ended the evening with a firework sendoff fit for a fairytale. I’m sort of back to reality while working remotely from Tampa this week — so here are four things I’m loving while in the 813. Are you surprised they’re all food-related?
- The Columbia: We celebrated my sister-in-law’s birthday Sunday at this iconic Ybor establishment. From mojitos to the 1905 salad to “good rice” that’s to die for, it’s no wonder this Cuban cookery has been a Tampa tradition for 110+ years. Don’t pass through Tampa without stopping by!
- Moreno Bakery: What birthday dinner would be complete without a towering, tantalizing cake? My SIL’s mom provided a fantastic Bananas Foster cake that left us all with sugar comas beyond compare. I’m actually drooling at the thought.
- Publix Subs: These things have a cult following for a reason. The PubSub is actually life-changing, and being so far from this grocery store makes them all that more special when I’m in Florida. Boar’s Head Italian FTW!
- “Sugar” – Maroon 5: Full disclosure: I actually can’t stand this song (or Adam Levine’s voice, still). But something about hearing it at a wedding — or when my niece is in the car — just gets the people going. Plus, the video is just the cutest ever (fake or not).
Pardon my delayed post, but as you read on you’ll see I have a very good excuse! Get it while the getting’s good.
- Brother’s Birthday: My big bro turns 32 today, and though we may not be celebrating together, he must be having a great one. Yankees are up (as of this writing), cold beers are abundant and he’s got an amazing little family who loves him so. 143, Moose!
- HAWAII: I’ve been up for 13 hours, but that’s not stopping the excitement. I set sail tomorrow for a 10-day cruise around the Hawaiian Islands and up to Vancouver. If this first picture is any indication, it’s gonna be a good one.
- Disney Cruise Lines: I know, I know. This is so off-brand for me. But, when your friend’s friend hooks you up with a dream vacation at a fraction of the price, you say, “Let it go” and jump aboard. I’m super stoked, to say the least.
- Fifth Harmony – “Worth It”: This song keeps popping up everywhere lately. A co-worker first introduced me to it, and then it’s been all over Spotify and, most recently, the Miss America pageant. I’m not ashamed to say I’m really feeling it.
We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled Wittyburg program 😉 In all seriousness, thanks to those of you who took the time to read my ramblings yesterday. I don’t make as much time as I should to change up the content here, but it’s always nice to hear your feedback and suggestions!
- Magz’s Birthday: My favorite mama celebrated her birthday Monday (and all weekend long) with family and friends at the happiest place on Earth. We had a nice little phone date, and I know she’s already feeling great at 50-something 😉 Cheers to you, Magz!
- Lake Tahoe: I was fortunate to have Labor Day Weekend plans with a dear friend who lives near Sacramento but — then! — our mutual friends invited us camping in Lake Tahoe so we jumped at the chance to join. The views were simply breathtaking and well worth the drive.
- Remembering Slick Rick: Sunday marks two years since my dad’s death, which I can and can’t believe. Time doesn’t necessarily heal all wounds, but it certainly offers perspective as we experience more milestones without him. Raising a glass to you, big guy.
- “Dreams” – Life of Dillon: This trio of dudes’ debut album is sure to soar, and I’m calling this single out as the next big thing. The hook is so damn catchy, especially with the killer quote “If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough.”
Images courtesy of: Mah iPhonex3, Genius
Happy Canada Day, eh? In all honesty, there’s a bevy of things to celebrate this week so let’s just get right down to it:
- SCOTUS for Gay Marriage: It’s old news by now, but hotdamnhowamazing! What a time to witness what happens when love conquers all. I hope your social-media feeds were filled with as much compassion as mine! This country still has a long way to go, but steps like this make me #proud.
- SF Pride: Speaking of, this weekend’s Pride festivities were absolutely fabulous. All the rainbows and sparkles and skin aside, it was truly incredible to see so many come together to support human rights.
- 4th of July: Um, heller. America and I celebrate our birthday in style each year, and I can’t wait to go wine tasting in Napa on Saturday. Whatever you’re doing to celebrate (me), be safe. Nothing brings a party down like fireworks gone wrong!
- “Stand Up” – Jessie J: Since I’m just oozing positivity and love, this anthem seems fitting. Like she croons, “…you’re as old as you feel you are, and if you don’t reach for the moon you can’t fall on the stars.” PREACH.
I woke up thinking it was Friday, if that’s any indication of where my head’s at this week. After a fantastic weekend visiting a friend in San Jose, I’m positively pooped and can’t wait to kick back and relax this weekend. Here’s what’s getting me through the next few days:
- Dad’s Birthday: I’ve always loved the number 13 and been superstitious (in a good way) about this day. But then my dad passed on a Friday the 13th … and this month it also happens to be his birthday and exactly a year and a half since his death. I still struggle with grief and loss, but I know he’s at peace so I’ll be raising a glass in his memory.
- Zoolander & Hansel Walk the Runway: It’s officially official — “Zoolander 2” is happening! Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson reprised their roles and stomped to the death at Paris Fashion Week for Valentino. It could have only been topped if they’d duked it out in a breakdance fight.
- Sea Lions in Santa Cruz: Speaking of models, look at this little ham posing for the paparazzi. My friend and I made the quick trip from San Jose to Santa Cruz last weekend, and these sea lions were just the cutest and best part of the day.
- “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” – WHAM!: I just can’t help myself. The announcement of Zoolander and Hansel’s return means more ridiculous montages like this one. February 2016 can’t come fast enough.
Welp, I know how Jeter must feel … this farewell tour has been exhausting.
But I’m so thankful for my supportive family and friends who’ve put up with me these last few weeks — I promise, the dragon lady will be extinct once I’m settled in San Fran!
Till then, let’s celebrate these four final New York obsessions:
- MTA: Oh, how I love to hate you. But when it’s all said and done, I am honestly amazed that 9.5 million people are transported via the subway, buses, LIRR, and Metro-North. Keep on keepin on’, Old Faithful.
- Times Square: See above re: love to hate. My NY experience would be nothing without the absolutely insane environment I face every workday. It’s magical to tourists for a reason, and I hope to enjoy visiting it in the future.
- Allison Turns 1!: OK, so she doesn’t live in New York, but she was born a Yankees fan so that totally counts. My favorite niece has brought nothing but joy and wonder to our family, and I can’t wait to celebrate many more years of her being adorable.
- DE-REK JE-TER: I searched the archives and have not specifically called out The Captain as an obsession. So there. His final home game is tomorrow, and his last at-bat will be in Boston Sunday. Regardless of wins and losses, I have nothing but love for my first-ever celebrity crush. Enjoy retirement, Jetes. You know where to find me.
Who couldn’t use a little mid-day pick-me-up? Many thanks to WordPress technology for this unintentional glitch 😀
- “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”: My friend Jess scored tickets to tonight’s taping, and I couldn’t be more excited for her friendship and good fortune. I also couldn’t care less about Shailene Woodley, but I’ll take it.
- SleepCycle: This handy little app came highly recommended, because I’m regularly restless and then oversleep. It tracks your movement, gauges your quality of sleep and provides a million useful stats — well worth the 99-cent price tag.
- “The Weight of Lies” – The Avett Brothers: Another gem from Pandora, I can’t get enough of this North Carolina trio’s crooning. Perfect for a rainy day, as the forecast predicts.
- Slick Rick’s Birthday: Tomorrow is my dad’s birthday and also marks six months since his death. I can’t even begin to express my range of emotions, but I plan to celebrate his life with some of his favorite things. Miss you every day, big guy.
It’s been one helluva week in news, what with Amanda Bynes’s continued meltdown and two other attention whores naming their kid North West. I’m sorry, you thought I meant real news? Psh posh. Today’s top stories:
- “Catfish: The TV Show”: I seriously hate myself for getting hooked, but there was a marathon leading to last night’s Season 2 premiere and I just couldn’t stop. Damn you, Internet, for making this show possible!
- Wil Myers: Although he plays for the Rays, this kid (yeah, 22!) has made quite the debut. His Grand Slam against my Yankees Saturday was his first major-league homer. He then went home to hit a HR against Toronto and help snap their 11-game streak. Not bad!
- Aubrey Plaza: Obviously, I love her on Parks & Rec, but today is also her birthday. So for that, I salute her. Even if she had a total WTF? moment on live TV.
- “Rouse Yourself” – JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound: The birthday girl stars with Human Grumpy Cat Jake Johnson in this funky fresh music video. The song is dark but dreamy; stick through the whole video — the surprise ending is worth it.
And for you dedicated readers, I apologize for the lack of posts lately. Some personal issues have diverted my attention, but I promise to get back on track soon. Thanks for sticking with me!
It’s that special time again, when I share five recent pictures and try to not be so lazy with my life. Consider it my birthday present to you, dear readers.
Obligatory crappy fireworks shot; building isn’t on fire — this isn’t San Diego
Real life: Holly testing our friendship with Gronk and LeBron praise
It’s the official weekend now, so get out and celebrate it! I’ll be spending mine with the college bestie and my hairstylist (finally!) … nothing like the 6th of July to get people excited about freedom.