I’m happy to report that after two weeks in two states, six airports, three Publix subs, countless giggles with my nieces and loved ones — and a patridge in a pear tree — I’m back in SF. To say I’m exhausted is an understatement. But, I’m fortunate to have the week off from work to recover and reenergize.
- A Starbucks Iced Chai: First things first, I’ve needed constant caffeine to keep up with my friends, family and the crazy-fun kiddos. Whether hitting the Epcot spot during an 18,000-step day or the drive-thru (twice) during a shopping marathon, the iced chai with almond milk is just what I need. Side note: Oprah’s Cinnamon Chai was my jam, but they’ve since discontinued it. How dare you fail me, girl?
- Exercise!: As counterintuitive as it sounds — and believe me, it’s taken years for me to believe it — getting more activity helps rejuvenate you when weary. Remember the wise words of Elle Woods? “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t!” I’m not quite ready to run this week, but some morning walks (and last week’s Epcot trip) have lifted my spirits.
- RIP Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds: I’m nowhere near a “Star Wars” fan, but I can certainly sympathize over yesterday’s loss of Carrie Fisher. Adding to the tragedy, her mother, Debbie Reynolds, died today. And while I don’t think a broken heart can be claimed as the official reason for death, I can only imagine the pain a mother feels losing their child, and how devastated their entire family must be.
- And, George Michael: Adding to the “2016 is the worst” movement, musician and AIDS activist George Michael was found dead in his home on Christmas. Between his iconic hits and outlandish appearances, he was an all-out entertainer who knew how to put on unforgettable performances.
Are y’all ready for this? You read that right, I’ve gone back to my southern roots for this week’s obsessions. Git along, little dogies.
- Bible App: Easter was 60 days ago, and I know this because that’s the day I committed to a 60-day New Testament reading plan with my Bible app. I love that I get my spiritual fill in 10–15 minutes a day, and you can make fun images out of verses you enjoy.
- Nashville: What do you do when you’re feeling sorry for yourself after neglecting to make Memorial Day plans? Tack yourself onto a girls’ trip to Nashville and book your flight six days in advance. Crazy, but true. Can’t wait to kick up my boots with some of my fave gal pals, even if the ABC show was canceled mercilessly.
- Trick Dog: This bar has an obnoxious menu, and I admittedly wasn’t crazy-impressed during my first visit in February. But a friend and I stumbled upon it last weekend, and I absolutely enjoyed our experience. The steak tartare, “manimal” fries and Loch Ness “Monster” are all must-tries.
- Chewbacca Mom’s Carpool: I’m sure you’ve seen the Chewbacca Mom video, which is officially the most-watched Facebook Live post ever. Candace’s laugh is contagious, and her simple mantra to enjoy the simple things is exactly what we all need to heed. Enjoy her follow-up video, courtesy of cult hit “Carpool Karaoke.”