I’m slightly less cranky this week, even though I had a near meltdown at lunch today when the only non-salad, milk-free option was gone. I’m counting down until Whole30 is done and can’t wait to share my results with you! I promise, it’s been worth it — even if I do cry over spilled soup.
- Nels Beauty Salon: Have you ever wanted to step inside Hello Kitty’s house or Barbie’s salon? Nels is about as close as you can get in San Francisco, and I had no idea. My friend had a Groupon for a gel manicure, so I made an appointment for myself. From the decor to the brushes and hot-stone elements, it was easily one of the best manicures I’ve ever had.
- Izakaya Kou: Another gem I recently discovered was this Japanese restaurant with a cozy, yet upscale, vibe. I’ve been grateful for any sashimi and nagiri during Whole30, and their hamachi carpaccio did not disappoint either. Although a bit pricey, this is would be a great date spot or girls’ night out option. Cheers to that!
- Yoga for CFF: Tonight, I’m proud to support my good friend and her work with Tomorrow’s Leaders in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We’ll be attending a yoga class downtown, with all proceeds benefiting the CFF. While I’m not closely connected to anyone fighting this disease, I couldn’t be more touched by what my friend does in honor of her strong sister.
- Gasparilla Invades SF: It’s that time of year again! Tampa Bay’s finest tradition comes to this Bay Area via my self-imposed celebration. The Buccaneer staff won’t know what hit ‘em, even with this being the third(? fourth?) year in a row. I’ve got the beads, temporary tattoos, bandanas and beads in tow — ARRRRGH ya ready?
There ain’t no rest for the wicked, so let’s dive right on in this week:
- Haircuts for Homeless: I’m not saying this story will make you cry, but I’m not saying it won’t. Brennon Jones is a barber in Philadelphia and gives free haircuts to the homeless there. Sean Johnson was a stranger to Jones, chatting about the service; and months later, Johnson called to meet him at — surprise! — a space he’d bought for Jones to set up shop. Who am I kidding, cue the ugly cry.
- Winter Is Coming: This has nothing to do with “Game of Thrones,” except for the obvious tagline. Winter in SF is legit on its way, evidenced by the nightly mid-40 temps and scattered storms all week. Snuggle up, buttercup. It’s about to get frosty in here (not really; I know it was 20 degrees in NYC last week). I’m just really good at being dramatic and blame it on my thin Floridian blood.
- The Ramen Bar: With cold weather comes hot soup! The absolute top of my soup list lately is this delightful lunch spot, which serves spicy pork, tasty tonkotsu and ridiculous ramen recipes I’ve only dreamed of before. I especially enjoyed it today, while catching up with a former boss lady whom I love. Oh, another bonus: Their Boba tea is to die for.
- “Thunder” – Imagine Dragons: It could be the stormy weather or it could be my need to get really pumped to get through the days lately, but regardless, this song is the ticket. I don’t know why I’m surprised every time I like one of their singles, but they continue to impress me and get stuck all up in my ears.
And just like that, it’s No-freaking-vember. I understand yesterday was Oct. 31, so naturally, today is November, but HOW? I feel like a new mom when I say the days are long, but the years are short. Before we know it, we’ll be saying “sayonara” to the garbage dumpster of 2017 and embracing the newness of 2018 for all of about two hours. Woo-hoo!
- Join the Movember Movement: My friend Nate is back at it again, raising money and awareness for men’s health in his fifth consecutive Movember campaign. He’s already more than halfway to goal — and it’s only Nov. 1 — but you can still support and get a super-sweet pic if you donate $50+. And, with VISA checkout, donations are matched (up to $25, so split ‘em up if you want extra points)! It takes seconds but can save so many lives.
- “Stranger Things”: Uh, duh. I couldn’t dress as Barb yesterday and not be totally hooked on this Netflix original. I binged all of season 1 over the weekend in preparation for my role (and a friend’s themed party!), but I have yet to dive into season 2 so NO SPOILERS. From what I’ve watched you’ll be just fine if you can get through the spookiness of S1:E1. Plus, these kids are so talented — and hilarious!
- “The Good Place”: After bingeing on a creepy show, I obviously needed a mental break. So I binged the first season and was pleasantly surprised. Again, NO SPOILERS on season 2 so far! Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are devilishly funny; and I highly recommend it, as one of the freshest comedies I’ve seen in years. Even the Rotten Tomatoes critics and reviewers give it an 86-90% approval rating!
- “I Put a Spell on You” – Screamin’ Jay Hawkins: There are plenty of haunting Halloween classics I could write about, but this one’s been in my head lately so it takes the cake. Notice, I’m not even touting the version from “Hocus Pocus” — personal growth again? Screamin’ Jay sure knows how to grab your attention and make you want to groove. What’s your go-to Halloween song? We can still talk about it, despite so many attempts to make Christmas happen, like, today ::eye roll::
I’ve been in a real funk lately, and it has nothing to do with the homeless man who harasses me twice a day. What better excuse than to find some distractions until I can “figure it out”?
- White Elephant in the Room: A dear friend recommended this tumblr after my dad died. It chronicles a young widow’s process for grief, guilt and everything in between. The writing is beautiful and REAL —and I just ordered my copy of the accompanying book.
- “Top Chef: New Orleans”: My favorite reality show returned last week, so my draft picks are in and I’m ready to beat Cosmo (again). I can’t wait to see how Emeril will challenge these chefs in his neck of the woods. BAM!
- AOII Goes Blue: My sorority’s philanthropy efforts focus on Arthritis Research & Education, with events nationwide that raise money and awareness for the cause. If you’re not near a college campus with AOII, consider donating directly.
- #lovewillwin: So that awesome DC wedding I went to last week? Yeah, it was kind of a big deal. Check out this ABC news story covering the last-minute scramble — and gift from God —to let a fantastic couple celebrate their marriage.