The past week with Magz visiting has been an absolute blast — an exhausting blast, mind you — but a blast nonetheless. She’s seen so much and kept me out way past my bedtime … we even closed down the bar Saturday night!
And her faithful travel companion, Flat Stanley, has been quite the little hellraiser. It was hard to narrow down our top picks, but I got by with a little help from my (flat) friend:
- Salsa y Salsa: This Mexican restaurant in Chelsea is the perfect mix of traditional favorites and modern flavors. The margaritas are exceptional, as were the fish tacos. ¡Ay dios!
- Rice to Riches: I was skeptical as any when a friend recommended this concept shop that serves only rice pudding. Boy, is my face red. The Chocolate Chip Flirt was divine and well worth our trek to Chinatown.
- Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum: What else can you do in NYC besides eat? Well, hang out with a bunch of creepy wax figures, of course! The handiwork is actually quite incredible and the atmosphere welcomed our goofing around.
- “Rock of Ages”: We just had to see a Broadway show, and this choice was phenomenal. All of the cast and crew were so talented, and the music reminds us all of a time before selfies and hashtags. Nailed it!
I’m generally not one to brag, but I have to say: My weekend was just plain awesome. It feels like I’m hitting my stride in my new city, and I couldn’t be happier with the experiences and memories I’m gaining.
- All You Can Eat Sushi + Sake @ Chinatown East – sushi was delicious, but the unlimited sake bombs reeeally got the night going
- One and One – a new favorite spot, it’s chill upstairs and a thumping club downstairs
- Dancing at Pianos – worth the $5 cover to go upstairs for better music and quicker service
- We hit another bar after that, but I don’t remember the name (sign of a good time)
Saturday: Low-Key Lounging
- Slept in for the first time in weeks and accomplished nothing – oddly OK with this
- Wharf in Murray Hill – visited our friend who works there for pre-gaming
- Brooklyn house party – celebrated friends who graduated from hair school, law school, design school and another who passed the NY State Bar
Sunday: Fun-Filled Finale
- Boozy brunch at The Guilty Goose in Chelsea – very strong mimosas alongside eggs benedict with a jalapeño hollandaise
- Stopped in to see Heroes & Villains at FIT – fascinating facts featured in fun and interesting exhibits
- Made our way home to watch SNL – Kristen Wiig’s return to the stage at 30 Rock did not disappoint
- Phone date with Magz – because she should be celebrated every day for what she put up with from us
Though it went by way too quickly, I had an absolute blast throughout this weekend. I can’t wait to enjoy more of this improved weather and share my finds with you guys. Cheers!