The rainy season is back in SF, and despite the drought, we’re actually getting some storms. What better way to take shelter from the showers than with these feel-good finds?
- Send a Card to Safyre: You’ve no doubt heard of this little girl, who was the lone survivor of a house fire in 2013. Now in the care of her aunt, Safyre’s one Christmas wish is to receive holiday cards from around the world. Send some cheer to this strong survivor at:
P.O. Box 6126
Schenectady, NY 12306
- Free Rides with Uber: I doubt there are many who haven’t yet tried Uber. If you are one of those special unicorns, though, you can get $15 in free rides with my promo code: 939DW Whether it’s for errands or post-holiday parties, Uber can litchrlly be your lifesaver.
- Macy’s Friends & Family: It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Macy’s Friends & Family sale can save you big bucks on holiday shopping. Take an extra 25% or 10% off most items, plus try Buy Online Pick Up In Store or Same-Day Delivery if you’re in a rush. Promo code: FRIEND is your little holiday helper.
- “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” – *NSYNC: We’re 15 days away from Christmas, so I can officially start listening to holiday music without losing my mind. This classic from my elementary school daze is sure to bring more merriment to the moment.
I’m not one of those people who can listen to Christmas music for weeks on end. Hi, have we met? My ears can only take so much fa-la-la before they fall off. The music (and movies) I do enjoy, though, are a mix of classic and contemporary:
Christmas Playlist – Some highlights from my 20-song Spotify list, which you can download here:
- “All I Want for Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey: Not a single person who saw “Love Actually” didn’t love the little girl’s rendition of this hit made famous by MC.
- “Auld Lang Syne” – Mairi Campbell: I first heard it during “Sex & The City,” but it remains a favorite during the winter season.
- “Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree” – Brenda Lee: If you grew up during the “Home Alone” era, then you have to include this in your mix.
- “This Christmas” – Chris Brown: He made this single before he hit RiRi, so I don’t feel as guilty (as I probably should) for loving it.
I’m really looking forward to the seasonal songs our church choir performs at midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but until then, this mix should do.
Christmas Movie Marathon – Because nothing says “Christmas” like explosions and an elf on a sugar high.
- “A Christmas Story” – You’ll shoot your eye out.
- “Christmas Vacation” – The Griswolds are the perfect example of what not to do.
- “Die Hard” – Yippee kay yay, mother …
- “Elf” – Elves’ four main food groups: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corns and Syrup.
- “Home Alone” – No explanation required.
- “Just Friends” – Ryan Reynolds had nothing to do with this decision.
- “Love Actually” – The perfect holiday movie to restore your faith in the world.
- “The Grinch” (the OG cartoon) – It wouldn’t be Christmas without the green one.
- “The Grinch” (remake with Jim Carrey) – Ron Howard’s directing genius continues.
Which movies and music get you into the holiday mood? Share your favorites to keep my spirits merry and bright!