11/11: Make a wish! Or, you could consider one of these more productive ideas 😉
- Veterans’ Day: I say it every year, but today is just one opportunity of many to thank the servicemen and women who sacrifice it all to serve our country. I’m fortunate to know many active and retired military members, whom I can’t thank enough. I won’t get on a soapbox, but the freedoms we’re fortunate enough to enjoy come at a hefty cost — so JUST DO IT.
- Coffee Cups Cause Commotion: Surely, we have better things to do with our time than debate a coffee cup and its “hidden meaning.” I’m a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas because of Christ — not because of a billion-dollar company’s alleged agenda to take down Jesus. Unfortunately, it’s another example of a few bad apples (or pumpkin spices?) spoiling the bunch.
- Blue Apron Donates Thanksgiving Dinner: It’s no secret I love Blue Apron for its (literally) life-changing service, but here’s another reason to obsess. Now, you can donate your Thanksgiving box of food OR an additional box (and still receive your own). Either way, Blue Apron will match all donations to help feed local families in need! You can donate now until noon ET on November 20.
- “Hotline Bling” Parody – SNL: Last week’s SNL episode, hosted by Donald Trump, left much to be desired… until this ridiculously silly parody popped up. I’m still laughing so hard, I cry — not sure if that says more about the video or me. Either way, enjoy!
There have been a lot of awful headlines lately — and while I understand the News 101 concept of “If it bleeds, it leads,” I’m particularly tired of hearing all the bad. Here’s my attempt to bring the smallest bit of sunshine to your day:
- Garmin Vîvofit: Santa was kind enough to supply my mom, sister-in-law and me with our very own Garmin Vîvofit activity trackers. We’re in a friendly competition to shed some lbs and have fun while doing it. I don’t love the app, but daily goals and gentle reminders to get moving are super motivating.
- Instacart: I loathe the entire act of grocery shopping since moving away from Publix. But thanks to this handy app, I no longer have to muddle through aisles and lug large bags. Pick a store in your area (or Instacart Plus), select your items and set your delivery time. It’s that easy!
- Rampage Ivory 50/50 Stretch Boots: In the words of Lloyd Christmas, “Killer boots, man.” These stretchy rider boots are so comfy and lasted well through my 10,000 daily steps 🙂 And at this price point, how can you say no?
- “Title” – Meghan Trainor: My favorite songstress of 2014 continues to impress with the, err, title track off her album. Its message couldn’t be more appropriate for my current love (or lack thereof) life. And though people have complained it’s anti-feminist, I think perhaps they’re just not really listening. I say preach, girl!
Audio only … girlfriend needs to get on this music video, stat!
The holiday season has been all hustle and bustle, so it’s been really nice to spend the last few days catching up with family and honoring our traditions.
From celebrating family mass to opening just one present (our ornaments), it’s these small comforts from home that fill my heart and make me so happy to be surrounded by loved ones.
Wishing you and yours a blessed holiday season, and hope you’re able to spend time with those you hold dear!
It’s rained for the past week in SF — and despite how much I’m getting use out of my adorable rain boots — I’m reeeally ready for it to stop. Still, I’ll take it over the polar vortex’s crushing temperatures any day. Also brightening my mood? These little lovelies:
- THIS Watch: I finally decided to retire my rose gold watch that’s been (fashionably) tarnished for a few years. My first day wearing Betsey Johnson’s beautiful creation has made me smile nonstop.
- “Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce”: The first-ever scripted series from Bravo is endlessly entertaining. From its controversial advertising to a killer soundtrack and biting dialogue, I see many seasons in this show’s future.
- DOSA SF: One of my first forays into Indian food was pure magic, thanks to the incredible flavors and huge portions at DOSA SF. The menu is huge, so I already know I’ll be back soon to try even more delicacies.
- “This Is My Wish” – Kevin Ross: This Motown crooner’s voice litchrlly gave me chills. Fast-forward past the Glad campaign nonsense … then sit back, relax and listen to a lovely holiday tune.
For the first time in forever, I’m really excited for the holidays and Christmastime — and it’s only December 10! Maybe it’s because I’m in love with my new city, or maybe it’s my new city’s constant weed aroma in the air. Whatever the case, here are four things to fa-la-la for:
- Christmas Decorations: I never even knew ornament stands existed, but this is perfect for commitment-phobes and people with smaller spaces (me and me). Leftover ornaments make fun additions to a table and doorway. Huzzah!
- Winter Walk SF: Right near Macy’s Union Square, SF residents and visitors can take a break from holiday shopping with a festive frolic on the turf. Kittens and carolers and food trucks oh my! Now through January 1.
- Pictures with Santa: Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing children cry at the sight of Santa. (I’m not completely jolly, as you should have guessed.) This priceless shot of my niece, Allison, and her amazing parents, will hang on my fridge for years.
- “Elf”: I just like to smile, smiling’s my favorite. And it just isn’t winter without watching this Will Ferrell classic. Trivia buffs can enjoy these fun facts, too — thanks for the find, Magz!
This week’s obsessions are simple: All things Christmas! I hope those who celebrate are enjoying time well-spent with family. The music, the decorations, the gifts … they’re all extra perks to having a blessed holiday season and memories with your loved ones.
Stay tuned for next week’s year-end recap and some photos of our celebrations. Till then, I hope you all have much to smile about!
OK, so I finally understand why people find Christmastime in New York City so magical. The lights, the decorations, the snow … it’s all pretty exciting for this Florida girl. Here’s what else has me fa-la-laing:
- This London Fog Coat: Remember how I’d marry those LOFT leggings if I could (I’m wearing them again today, obviously). Well, the same goes for this absolutely perfect winter coat. It fits like a dream and is warm without being bulky — just look how happy that model is!
- #PaleGirlProblems: My fair-skinned frand was such a peach for showing me this list of true issues for the fair and freckled. As much as I’m loving the winter here so far, it sure does make me realize just how pasty I can get. Hooray!
- People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Drucks struck gold twice this week when she shared an amazing blog that so encapsulates everything I want to be in life. From overachieving mommies to movie-theater a-holes, she’s got it all covered.
- “Evolution of Beyoncé” – Pentatonix: It’s been a while (read: NEVER) since I featured a song from Queen B. This should count for at least a half a point, since it’s a Beyoncé-inspired medley of magic. Pentatonix, you just won yourself a new fan.