I thought it’d be fun to capture each month’s activities and milestones in a series called Witty Rewind. It may not be for posterity’s sake, but I hope you’ll enjoy looking back at the previous month with me.
It should come as no surprise that my health and wellness focus has fallen quite off the rails. I battled a couple of allergy attacks, and my motivation has run away further than any ol’ 5K would get me. I did focus more on meditation and mindfulness, so I’m trying to not beat myself up about it. But when you’re an all-or-nothing kinda person, it def feels futile. [Minutes meditated: ~200]
What I always come back to for relaxation and rejuvenation is READING. I’ve been “competing” in a one-book-a-week challenge at work and smashed my goal of 13 books in 10 weeks, with a week still to go. From awful self-help advice to the horrors of Nazi Germany, it’s been quite a journey. [Books read: 7]
Here’s how else I spent the month of May:
- Celebrated Cinco with margaritas and Book Club
- Had a roomie reunion dinner at a new Mediterranean spot
- Happy-houred with former colleagues and enjoyed comped treats from the chef
- Dinner and a pop-up show in Oakland — truly remarkable!
- Canceled plans on canceled plans on canceled plans (I blame mystery illness)
- My oldest niece graduated from VPK! The pics are everything
- Volunteered with the Junior League of SF and prepped incoming leadership
- Sat out the annual Bay to Breakers mayhem (let’s say because of rainy forecasts)
- Ventured to OLIVE GARDEN with my girlfriends who truly are family
- Continued furnishing the new apartment, despite incomplete deliveries and delays
- Celebrated the end of the League year with dinners, drinks, wine country… you name it
- Saw the Monet exhibit before it left SF…
- …and ended the evening with a scary (though relatively minor) car crash
- Remembered how atrocious the insurance and healthcare industries are in the US
- Traveled to Vegas with a lot of aspirin and saw CELINE DION in one of her final shows
I would love to have a good reason for not writing anything besides WOs lately, but the truth is: I’ve just been a social butterfly! Between crazy work hours and crazy happy hours … I’m just too popular. The struggle is real.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: As I mentioned last year, my family is full of educators. I wouldn’t be half of who I am without so many influential teachers, and I appreciate their never-ending reminders that summer is just a few weeks away. Right.
- Nurse Appreciation Week: My other female family members are nurses (or teach nursing), so this one goes out to those gals! They’ve got just as many ridiculous work stories to share but manage to save lives every day. Color me impressed.
- Margarita Appreciation Week: I may or may not have made this one up. But with Cinco de Drinko (and a rough Seis de Mayo), I think it’s only fair we celebrate the salted siren.
- “Mood Booster” on Spotify: My fabulous friend, J. Pep, introduced me to this wonderful playlist that got me through a particularly challenging workday. The mix of oldies and goodies is sure to bring a smile to your lovely face.
Cheers, peeps! And spread the love around 🙂
This one’s for the ladies! (If you didn’t immediately think of Tina Fey DJing in “Baby Mama,” then I don’t know if we can continue this relationship.
Anyway, this week is dedicated to some pretty awesome — if not just plain entertaining — women. Before we begin: Don’t you dare forget to celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday! Now let’s continue …
- Birthday Girls: It’s my aunt Lori’s and cousin Kelly’s birthdays (today and Saturday, respectively). One’s a teacher, the other a nurse — I wasn’t kidding the other day — so they deserve as much cake and presents as they can carry.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Charlie McDowell’s ultra-entertaining commentary is on pre-order in book form! A recent fave? “I got another ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant when there wasn’t a fire!” –At least you have an airtight court case.
- Skinnygirl Margaritas: Bethenny Frankel, notably of RHONY fame, is the mastermind behind the Skinnygirl brand. So go on and keep raising a glass for Cinco de Drinko (minus the guilt)!
- “Girl on Fire” – Alicia Keys: If ever there was a women-kick-ass anthem, it’s this one. I prefer the Nicki Minaj “Inferno” version, but either way, it’s a powerhouse hit.
You can try but you’ll never forget her name.