I’m low on sleep but high on energy to bring you all this week’s finds. Here’s hoping I don’t crash before I finish…
- La Croix Cocktails: I previously mentioned my love for La Croix flavored sparkling water. Well, I’m hopelessly addicted now that I have an endless supply at work. Good thing a writer at Gizmodo curated nine cocktail recipes to make with La Croix! Happy hour just got a little happier.
- RunKeeper: With my newfound Run Club at work, I wanted to try this wildly popular app to map my route and pace. The welcome series of emails was a little aggressive, but I’m otherwise pleased with the experience so far. Bonus: It’s on sale for just $20/year — get it while you can!
- Firefly: I recently celebrated three months with my company by joining my referring co-worker and our mutual friend at this spot in Noe Valley. It’s largely veg-focused, but I can attest that the fried chicken and biscuit were also stellar. It was a nice departure from my usual menu, especially with the tart and vibrant fried green tomatoes. Yum!
- Jay Pharaoh: SNL’s king of impressions has done it again — this time, mimicking various rappers. Best of all, host and musical guest Drake had something to say about it. Despite the crap quality (thanks for hoarding your videos, SNL), you won’t be disappointed, fam.*
*Am I using that correctly? I’m too old and white to be cool.
Is Daylight Saving Time kicking anyone else’s butt? I love how long it’s light out at night — don’t get me wrong. But every morning this week, I’ve woken up to my alarm in disbelief at the time. Le sigh. Here’s what’s getting me through:
- “The Bachelor” Finale: I managed to stay off social media for 24 hours to avoid spoilers and watched the season finale with a friend last night. I’m not happy with Ben’s choice, but I’m glad that it allowed his runner-up to be the next Bachelorette! I’ll be tuning in when it premieres this May.
- Cocktails for Candidates: I’m pretty sure everyone could use a nice, stiff drink with the circus that is this year’s Presidential election. Lucky for us, a bar in Austin has just the fix: candidate-themed cocktails. Cheers to The Townsend for this creative twist on political parties.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Get your green gear ready for tomorrow’s annual ode to the Irish. Whether you’re downing pints of Guinness or keeping it low-key with whisky 😉 , here’s hoping you have a safe and happy celebration.
- “Cake by the Ocean” – DNCE: I can’t seem to get away from this earworm, so I might as well embrace it. The high-pitched vocals don’t pain me as much as Adam Levine’s “singing,” and the hook will get your body moving. Now, what exactly does it all mean?
Memorial Day kicks off the start of sandals, swimsuits and surf (for the rest of the country … let’s be honest, that started four months ago in Florida). So, here are some of my favorite cocktail recipes to beat the heat with — little drink umbrella required.
“Cosmopolitan” Trendy Summer Drink
This was recently served at a friend’s going-away barbecue, and I couldn’t get enough. So light and refreshing!
- Orange, lemon or lime, cut into wheels
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup lemonade
- 1 cup light beer
- Add citrus wheels to a pitcher, then fill a third of it with ice.
- Add vodka, lemonade and ginger ale.
- Top with the beer.
Cherry Lemon Drop
My drink of choice this past weekend, this one will have you going back for seconds — and fifths!
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 bottle cherry vodka
- 1 bottle lemonade
- Superfine sugar, on a small plate
- Rub lemon wedge around the rim around each glass. Put wedge aside.
- Roll rim of the glass in superfine sugar.
- Shake off excess sugar over sink or trash can.
- Mix 1 part cherry vodka, two parts lemonade in glass. Top drink with lemon wedge.
Your summer just isn’t complete without the Spanish-inspired flavors of sangria. Delicioso!
- 1 bottle of chilled red wine
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 shot brandy
- 2 cups ginger ale or club soda
- Add ice to the pitcher first, and then pour wine into it.
- Squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon and orange into the wine.
- Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and add sugar and brandy.
- Add ginger ale or club soda just before serving.
In honor of National Margarita Day, I would like to raise a glass, a maraca and a sombrero to one of my favorite drinks. My love affair with margs began years ago and has only grown since my first sip … OK, gulp.
I don’t do frozen margaritas, unless they’re specially priced at a 2-for-1 discount. Salt or sugar on the glass rim is a must, and I consider the drink incomplete without this accoutrement. (Quick: What’s Spanish for “garnish”?)
My favorite margs were those consumed in the church bingo hall with my mother and late grandmother. Nothing tastes quite as sweet as bonding over bingo cards, big drinks and blessings from the Lord.
No matter which way you take ’em, I hope you are celebrating in full force today. Shake up some tequila, knock a few back and let me know how that hangover is feeling tomorrow. ¡Olé!