From what I can tell on social media, it’s really cold and there was a football game this week. Thanks a heap, Zuckerberg. You’ve really challenged our generation to be independent thinkers.
Are you guys ready for some real brain-busters?
- Upper East Side: My first year here was wonderful, but I got reaaaally tired of being so far from the places I frequent. Lucky for me, I found an adorable studio in the UES and am all moved in — halleluyer!
- The Auction House: This hidden gem of a bar is conveniently just steps away from my new apartment. “Obsessed” is putting it mildly … the drinks are awesome, and the atmosphere is perfectly eclectic and cozy.
- Duolingo: I’ve been meaning to brush up on my Spanish for some time, and my friend recommended this easy-to-use app. You can play games, hear pronunciations and practice your own. Best of all, it’s FREE! ¡Que bueno!
- “Beauty & the Beast”: My amazingly talented cousin, Shannon, was just cast in her dream role of Belle and I couldn’t be more proud! She’ll absolutely kill it in her performances — congrats, cuz!
Now that I’m a big-time city girl (no, really), I must share the apps I’ve recently downloaded and learned to love. Whether in need of dinner delivery or photo finessing, these free apps are worthy of the prestigious WO nod.
- Seamless: Hungry, but don’t feel like leaving the apartment? Too tired to even speak to another human being? Then, Seamless is for you: Order from local restaurants with just a few clicks, and enjoy a new food find faster than you can say “Forever lazy.”
- EmbarkNYC: Master mass transit and everyday travel in Manhattan (and outlying boroughs) with the help of this easy-to-use app. I prefer it to HopStop, which requires Wi-Fi, AKA it won’t work when you’re underground.
- Pic Stitch: I’ve used another photo app for a while and ignored the growing Pic Stitch trend. Silly me, I didn’t realize the craze was merited with simple navigation and special features. I’m now a convert.
- This Quiz: OK, so it’s not an app. But I had to mention Tres Sugar’s on-point quiz to determine quotes from “Girls” and “Sex and the City.” The former returns to HBO this Sunday for season 2 and the latter is the definitive single-in-NYC series.
Stay tuned for more frequent updates, as we finally get Internet in the apartment this weekend! The joys of 21st Century living.