I’m sure there are worse ways to start off your week than being unceremoniously dumped, but I’m struggling to think of any right now. Better sooner than later, I know. But woof. What a week it’s been — and it’s only Wednesday.
- “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”: Caitlin Doughty’s memoir served as the backdrop for this month’s Book Club pick. It’s a dark, oddly humorous and fairly emotional look at the funeral industry and the way society acknowledges death (or doesn’t). I’m intrigued to hear what my fellow clubbers thought, but I gave it an enthusiastic four stars myself.
- Support BELWOP: One of the most selfless, giving people I know is planning a mission trip to Kenya with her church. You can read more about it on Lydia’s GoFundMe page, but I hope you’ll consider giving to a spirit so bright and selfless. Any donation counts toward helping her help others.
- Bran Flakes Visits: Another of my favorite humans on the planet is coming to visit tomorrow, and her timing couldn’t be more perfect. From working on the same creative team and exploring Panama and Costa Rica, plus volunteering on a leadership board and even designing this very WO template, Brandi and I have shared some of my most treasured experiences — and I’m sure there are more to come this weekend.
- “Let’s Generalize about Men” – “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: There are some real gems out there when it comes to breakup songs, but this one is absolutely my favorite right now. If you’re not familiar with “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” songs, they’re often self-aware and a parody of ridiculous proportions. Disclaimer aside, I think anyone would enjoy this totally tubular jam.
Was last week a whirlwind for you all, too? Even with Thursday off from work, I can’t quite believe how fast Thanksgiving came and went. Oh, and it’s December. Where does the time ever go?
- “The Talented Mr. Ripley”: Speaking of time, step back to the 1950s (or 1999, because that’s how far behind I am) and soak up this thrilling tale of deception and lust. The book was better — yes, I’m an asshole — but the movie is pretty damn good.
- Ryan Gosling Hosts SNL: If time continues to move at warp speed, then Christmas come early indeed. My love for The Gos has become a parody at the office, but my excitement for Saturday is fully genuine. Here’s hoping there’s at least one shirtless sketch!
- “California Christmastime” – “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: This CW show continues to surprise me week after week, and this finale number from Monday’s episode was another showstopper. It’s a little more referential to SoCal than San Francisco, but all Californians alike are finding ourselves.
- Spiced Pork, Squash & White Bean Soup: I’ve obsessed over Blue Apron for most of this year, and there are often recipes I’d repeat again. But never have I felt so compelled to share — this soup not only made about five servings, but it was so easy to make (once you hack through the squash)! Enjoy 🙂
Do you feel that chill in the air? That’s because it’s the most wonderful time of the year! From the World Series and the throes of football seasons to a New York trip and HALLOWEENIE coming up, you could say I’m pretty pumped.
- Canceled Wedding Turned Heartwarming Story: This viral story from Sacramento details how a bride-to-be’s family turned her suddenly canceled wedding into a feast for the homeless. Whatever the groom’s reasons for not going through with the big day, there are more than 90 struggling people — and millions around the country — supporting the bride’s family and their selflessness.
- “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: I didn’t really know what to expect with this new show from the CW, but I certainly didn’t think there’d be a giant floating pretzel and musical numbers that had me in stitches. There’s just the right punch of comedic timing, unrequited love and jazz hands. It’s one to watch — literally. Catch it Monday nights at 8. Or I’ll fiiiind youuu.
- Laugh & Learn: Take a few minutes out of your day and check out this comedy bit from my Uncle Pat. He’d love your feedback to help hone his comedic chops — so do us all a favor and WATCH 🙂 Thanks, peeps!
- San Francisco Zoo: It only took me a year, but I finally made it out to the SF Zoo this past weekend. And just in time for Red Panda Day! The exhibits were interesting, the animals were playful & we had a great time exploring the wildlife brought to our city.