Welp, I know how Jeter must feel … this farewell tour has been exhausting.
But I’m so thankful for my supportive family and friends who’ve put up with me these last few weeks — I promise, the dragon lady will be extinct once I’m settled in San Fran!
Till then, let’s celebrate these four final New York obsessions:
- MTA: Oh, how I love to hate you. But when it’s all said and done, I am honestly amazed that 9.5 million people are transported via the subway, buses, LIRR, and Metro-North. Keep on keepin on’, Old Faithful.
- Times Square: See above re: love to hate. My NY experience would be nothing without the absolutely insane environment I face every workday. It’s magical to tourists for a reason, and I hope to enjoy visiting it in the future.
- Allison Turns 1!: OK, so she doesn’t live in New York, but she was born a Yankees fan so that totally counts. My favorite niece has brought nothing but joy and wonder to our family, and I can’t wait to celebrate many more years of her being adorable.
- DE-REK JE-TER: I searched the archives and have not specifically called out The Captain as an obsession. So there. His final home game is tomorrow, and his last at-bat will be in Boston Sunday. Regardless of wins and losses, I have nothing but love for my first-ever celebrity crush. Enjoy retirement, Jetes. You know where to find me.
Today is the best day.
It doesn’t matter that my foot was smashed on the train. Or that a guy I was connecting with on Tinder turned out to be a creep (shocking!). Or that I had five hours of meetings.
Today is the best day, because I’m going to my first Yankees game of the season! They’ve played two without me, and I’m experiencing my first case of FOMO. Well, fear no more. Today is the best day.
- The Hudson Bond: Before the game, I’m hitting a quick work happy hour at this midtown spot. The weather is finally breaking, and we’ll be able to enjoy its patio even more in the coming months.
- Yankees Home Games: The smell, the sounds, the sights — I’m clearly more than excited for my first visit back to the Bronx since September.
- Brother Jimmy’s BBQ: Once inside, I have to hit up this chain’s amazing concession stand. I’ve been dreaming of the fried pickles for months, I tell you!
- “The Boys Are Back in Town” – Thin Lizzy: Well, duh. It’s no coincidence that this monster ballad has played on loop in my head all day. Let’s get ‘em, Yanks!
Brought to you in no specific order, here’s what I’ve been Googling and ogling over and over this week.
“Horrible Bosses”: I adore Charlie Day from “Always Sunny,” and Jason Sudeikis and Jason Bateman have gained popularity on my DVR the past few years. A ridiculous scheme with lovable guys and deplorable bosses is not to be missed. Charlie’s coked-out scenes were most memorable and absolutely ridiculous.
Decor from Urban Outfitters: From the coasters (have) to the tape dispenser (want) and hamburger phone (need), Urban never fails to impress. Every visit, I find at least five things I never knew I couldn’t live without. Hipster or not, how can you say no to a HAMBURGER. PHONE.
BustedTees: I’ve been a big fan for years now, but there’s just something about these shirts that keeps me coming back for more. A grab-bag offer is going on now — give ‘em your size (and 30 bucks), and they’ll send four shirts picked at random for your enjoyment. So many pop-culture references; so little time!
The All-Star Break: From Cano’s beautiful triumph in the Derby to Heath Bell’s unique entrance, I’m all about this week in baseball. And in case you haven’t heard — even though he didn’t play last night — Jeter had his 3,000th hit Saturday. Suck on that, haters!