I thought it’d be fun to capture each month’s activities and milestones in a series called Witty Rewind. It may not be for posterity’s sake, but I hope you’ll enjoy looking back at the previous month with me.
After my Whole30 high, I sadly slipped back into some old habits. It’s to be expected given my “all or nothing” attitude, but I also tried not to beat myself up too much for it. I saw some weight gain after reintroducing bread and cheese, and I scaled back on formal workouts to focus more on a StepBet at work. I feel OK, but I’ll be experimenting with a “clean eating on weekdays” approach for March. [Miles walked: 88.29]
I slowed down on reading considerably, as I’ve had to use my morning commute more for actual work time. That said, I’ve still enjoyed devouring a mix of fiction and nonfiction, from beach reads to heavier topics. Find me on Goodreads to see the latest! [Books read: 5.5]
Some highlights from the shortest (but most social) month:
- Line dancing at The Saddle Rack for a dear friend’s birthday
- Waking up the next morning to continental breakfast and a PANCAKE MACHINE
- Hosting a Super Bowl party for that snoozefest of a game
- Volunteering with the Junior League of SF and AOII alumnae group
- Lunching with former colleagues on the rainiest day possible
- (Not a highlight) Being knocked out with exhaustion and missing two events
- Attending a JLSF yoga class for Galentine’s Day
- Finding a new dentist who didn’t lecture or belittle me
- Brunching with friends… and getting a peep show from an exhibitionist neighbor
- MONSTER JAMMING for the fourth consecutive year
- Starting the apartment hunt with one of my current roommates
- Hosting Book Club as we discussed “The Last Mrs. Parrish”
- Seeing “FRIENDS LIVE!,” a drag parody of the iconic sitcom
- Celebrating the Lunar New Year parade from our annual Irish pub spot
- Toasting to many birthdays, engagements, babies, and work accolades
That about does it for me. Can you believe it’s already March?! Madness, I say 😉🏀
☠️ MONSTER JAM with one of my faves ☠️
I’m out of my mind today after a 6am flight to Phoenix and connection to San Antonio. It’s my first time in the Lone Star State for more than a layover in Dallas-Fort Worth, and I’m beyond pumped to hang with two good friends from high school. We’re here for two days before road tripping to Austin — hang onto your hats.
- “Three’s Company” Live!: Since it’s now a tradition, a friend and I saw the latest drag show installment from the fine folks at Oasis. The characters were over the top, and the jokes were nonstop. I can’t wait for the next series these divas bring to life.
- Father John Misty: I was skeptical of this indie rocker when he came to town last year, following the release of his second solo album. But the BF got us tickets and I was swiftly proven wrong. His sound is soothing, yet can shake you to the core. I do love you, Honeybear.
- 8th Grade Girl Shuts Down BMI: I’m in the business of health now, but BMI continues to be a controversial topic. While I do believe it serves a purpose, I have to applaud 8th grader Tessa Embry, who wrote a scathing takedown of the concept for a health class exam. Adolescent bodies are judged plenty without this metric to worry about — well done, Tessa.
- Mutual Rescue: This series from the Humane Society of Silicon Valley is guaranteed to make you smile. And ugly cry, but smiles too. The latest introduces us to Eric, who was suffering from Type 2 diabetes and severely overweight. His and Peety’s story will hit you right in the heartstrings.