Do you ever have anxiety to the point where you can feel it rising in your throat, just below the surface, and you’re almost scared to speak in case it manifests in a very vomit-y way? No? Me either, I was just asking for a friend.
- Vow to Be Chic: Nothing to be anxious about here. A friend’s friend told me about this ingenious service, and I had to share it with you all. Bridal parties, listen up! Now you can rent (or buy) your dress for an affordable price — so you won’t even have to worry about when you’ll wear a $300 frock again. Can I get an “Amen”?
- “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace”: Will this ACS season top its inaugural foray into The People v. OJ Simpson? Hard to tell. But with another all-star cast and a horrific case, it’ll definitely be thrilling to watch. Full disclosure: I set the DVR as soon as I possibly could! #nerdalert
- Tavaris Jones: You may have seen Tavaris wow the crowd with his dancing on “Ellen” before, but he’s back making headlines with his major moves. How does a tiny human slay the halftime show so smoothly? If I had even 1/10th of his swag, I’d be happy.
- “Finesse” – Bruno Mars f. Cardi B: I was born in the late ’80s, so I consider myself a ’90s kid. And there’s no current song that references the era better than this straight-to-the-top hit. From the “In Living Color” references to the just-announced GRAMMYs performance, this one is sure to be in our heads for a while. Da bomb!
In honor of my upcoming 30th birthday, I’ve researched countless “things to do before 30” lists. And while there are plenty to choose from, I kept coming back to “Thirty Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She’s 30.”
The List was originally published in Glamour by columnist Pamela Redmond Satran in 1997. Over the next 30 weeks, I’ll be tackling each item on The List and reflecting about it here… publicly (gulp). I hope you enjoy and we can grow together. After all, turning older is a privilege denied to many.
By 30, you should have…
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
I’m sure every woman can relate to the hunt for the perfect LBD, or Little Black Dress. And while I myself own a handful of them — and have worn each for various job interviews and dates — I actually prefer my LRD, or Little Red Dress.
The Dress is a cotton shell, which makes it easy to care for or stash away in a suitcase when traveling. The red hue is vibrant without being overbearing, perfectly tinted for festive fetes or standing out in a sea of black. The back features a gold zipper, and the shoulders are accented with black pleather, providing just enough panache to keep it from being plain. Finally, The Dress has the ultimate modern feature every girl adores: pockets!
I bought The Dress a few years ago, and keep it in my repertoire for fancier occasions or last-minute plans. It pairs well with tights or without; with booties or flats or wedges or heels; and with or without an outer layer. I even recently wore it to a holiday event and a girlfriend was wearing essentially the same thing — the ultimate style compliment, in my opinion.
What’s your go-to garment when you need to be fashionable in a flash? Post a comment and let me know!