I’m normally not the “prayer warrior” type who solicits good vibes from my social networks, but I had to today as my good friend endured her bilateral mastectomy to eradicate cancer. Ever the good sport, she named her cancer “Felicia” so she could say BYE to it 😂 Here’s what else I’m focused on lately:
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Salmon: In an effort to simplify my weekly meal prep, I’ve read countless lists of one-pot and sheet-pan meals. I was pumped to try this recipe Monday night and it didn’t disappoint: The marinade flavor has only gotten more pronounced with each serving of leftovers, and I’ll definitely be using this in my regular rotation. Delish!
- Sugarhill Kitchen: After yesterday’s lockout snafu, I needed an hour to kill while my landlord brought me their keys. I’ve passed this restaurant approximately a thousand times but hadn’t ventured in before. The owner/chef/bartender, Jennie, was so hospitable and welcoming — even offering a (free!) second glass of wine to heal my headache. I had other dinner plans to get to after, but I’ll return soon to enjoy all Sugarhill Kitchen has to offer!
- Bar Method: Not a day goes by without discussing different workout routines to try. Part of it is literally my job. Part of it is living in an active city like SF. All of me was excited to try Bar Method during its “Love Your Selfie” challenge, which grants unlimited access to newcomers for 40 days — and just $49! I’m two days in and can already feel the benefits of small, yet calculated, movements. Plus, who doesn’t want to feel longer and leaner? I might be a barre addict after all.
- “Doo Wop (That Thing)” – Ms. Lauryn Hill: I’ve enjoyed Spotify’s Black History Salute playlist, with tracks ranging from Marvin Gaye to Wanda Sykes and many more. The unequivocal fave, for me? None other than Ms. Lauryn Hill’s “Doo Wop (That Thing).” It’s in my top five for lyrics – don’t be a hard rock when you really are a gem — and it always brings a smile to my face.
I’m running on empty today, after being emotionally drained and awoken multiple times last night by what I thought was an alert in a dream. It wasn’t until 6am that I realized the alert was happening in real life, and it wasn’t until I was on a chair, smoke detector in hand, that I discovered it was coming from my beloved Jambox.
I must not have turned it off after its last use, so I had a woman’s voice tell me every 10 minutes or so to recharge the battery. Hint: This is not an ideal way to wake up.
All that to say, I’m ready to recharge myself and my Jambox.
- Before the Fall: I’ve been on a book binge lately, devouring the shelves of stories I bought months ago but hadn’t committed to reading. This novel details the events of a (fictional) horrific private plane crash from multiple perspectives, as we try to piece together what happened and why there are just two survivors. It left me breathless most of the way, but I was a bit disappointed in the final chapters. Still, I’d recommend the read — just not while you’re in-flight.
- Heavenly, Tahoe: I spent last weekend in Tahoe for a good friend’s 30th birthday celebration, marking my first adventure there in the winter (and with a bed)! We had our fill of snow games during the day, plus cozy cabin fun at night. Our backyard was a winter wonderland, making it hard to leave, so I’ll just need to find 15 other people to rent the house out with me again soon. Should be as easy as a Floridian sledding down a snowy hill, right?
- Basecamp Fitness: It’s only natural to try the countless fitness facilities SF has to offer. A friend brought us in for a free trial and we picked Plyo, AKA “the toughest class ever,” according to the girl next to me, who’s worked out there for a year. The schtick is simple: You do a minute on a resistance bike, a minute doing something else, then back to the bike and so on. You’re “done” in 35 minutes, although they encourage you to stay for the optional 10-minute abs session after. I’m sure I’ll be back soon to see how other classes compare.
- Pagan Idol: It’s the Tahoe birthday girl’s actual birthday, so we’re set to escape even further tonight — to a magical, tropical bar downtown. The tiki hut is reserved, the drinks will be flowing and I’m practicing my “luau” for the occasion. Added bonus: The excitement of tonight’s festivities are about the only thing getting me through today. And, the promise of a warm space away from the cold, rainy outdoors is even better!
The sun is shining, the birds are singing and I couldn’t be happier today. Confession: That’s all a lie but if I keep telling myself it’s true, then it’ll all be OK, right? Right.
- Reformer Pilates: I had my first-ever turn at reformer pilates last weekend, thanks to a new friend, who happens to be a super fit instructor. The machines helped me stretch beyond my wildest dreams, and I felt lengthened and strengthened — while also relaxed. I’ll definitely be returning for another class soon. Pro tip: Don’t try this the day after an abs boot camp 😉
- Sweetbitter: This novel kept popping up on Goodreads, but I bought it late last year without ever committing. The good news: It’s a very quick read, with lots of characters and a peek into the (fictional) NYC restaurant world. The bad: I didn’t find the main character particularly likeable, and all of the food talk made me so, so hungry! Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
- Aziz Ansari Hosts SNL: This may be premature praise, but Aziz Ansari will host this week’s SNL and I couldn’t be more excited. Modern Romance was one of the best books I’ve read in recent years, and I thoroughly enjoyed his Treat Yo’self bourgie boy Tom Haverford on “Parks & Recreation,” plus his brainchild on Netflix, “Master of None.” Don’t disappoint me, Aziz. Pleeease.
- “Starboy” – The Weeknd: It’s pretty rare that I like a song based on beat alone, without even bothering to hear or understand the lyrics. Well, The Weeknd has me hooked — despite my initial resistance after a fellow Halloween reveler insisted it be played on repeat. I’ve come around and now find myself bopping along mindlessly.
Unrelated, but I’ve recently made my personal Twitter account public, so I’ll be deleting the blog’s Twitter account. No sense managing two, right? Follow wittyburg before I delete wittyburgblog on Feb. 1!
This week is full of firsts for me, and I’m pretty pumped about it. I won’t keep you guessing; I’m way too excited:
- Run Club: If you just fell off your chair, I’ll give you a moment to get yourself together. I’ve never, ever, ever enjoyed running — even in all my years as an athlete, I would muddle through sprints but hated any sort of endurance exercise. I’ve just begun a twice-a-week run club with a co-worker, and our two miles of run/jog/walk intervals were just the thing to start my week off right.
- Root Division’s Drawing 101: Again, I’ll give you a minute to let that sink in. I’ve always found creative outlets in writing but haven’t managed to develop my drawing skills beyond stars and cubes. Inspired by co-workers again, I began a six-session course last night for a more formal introduction to drawing. Here’s hoping I get more than just stick figures out of the experience 😉
- Toastmasters: Public speaking wasn’t an issue for me, really, until a few months ago, when I felt like I totally botched my maid of honor speech in front of more than 200 people. Thankfully, my company started a Toastmasters club, and I gave my first speech this afternoon. Tears aside — no, really — I’m excited to spend an hour each week learning how to best present myself.
- Mayer Hawthorne: Admittedly, I hadn’t heard of this funky guy (so it’s OK if you haven’t, either). My boyfriend suggested we go to his concert this weekend, so my Spotify has been on loop ever since. I can’t pinpoint whose music Hawthorne’s is reminiscent of, but I can tell you it sure is groovy.
Some family news had me all shook up last weekend, and I’ve been a bit melancholy since. Pensive, of course … I just don’t want it to turn into a permanent state. These four guys have helped me to get out of my own head a little bit and just relax.
- Llama Tasered in … Florida: Of course, Floriduh. My home state is notorious for breeding its own special brand of crazy, and this story is no exception. A co-worker legit sent it to me because “the headline reminded [her] of [me].”
- Ben & Jerry’s Late Night Snack: You already know a date night with these two main men is pretty wonderful. But this edition, inspired by Jimmy Fallon, is my absolute can’t-live-without. Salty, sweet and swirly.
- Prancercise!: I heard rumblings of this video last week but finally watched it Monday. And while exercise really is good for you to de-stress, I much prefer laughing till my sides hurt. Her rhyming instructions seal the deal.
- “The Girl” – City and Colour: Music will forever have healing properties for me, and this ditty is a recent fave. Starts slow, hits the hook and captures a relationship so magically.
Enjoy two scoops of YouTube, no extra charge!