Happy Canada Day, eh? In all honesty, there’s a bevy of things to celebrate this week so let’s just get right down to it:
- SCOTUS for Gay Marriage: It’s old news by now, but hotdamnhowamazing! What a time to witness what happens when love conquers all. I hope your social-media feeds were filled with as much compassion as mine! This country still has a long way to go, but steps like this make me #proud.
- SF Pride: Speaking of, this weekend’s Pride festivities were absolutely fabulous. All the rainbows and sparkles and skin aside, it was truly incredible to see so many come together to support human rights.
- 4th of July: Um, heller. America and I celebrate our birthday in style each year, and I can’t wait to go wine tasting in Napa on Saturday. Whatever you’re doing to celebrate (me), be safe. Nothing brings a party down like fireworks gone wrong!
- “Stand Up” – Jessie J: Since I’m just oozing positivity and love, this anthem seems fitting. Like she croons, “…you’re as old as you feel you are, and if you don’t reach for the moon you can’t fall on the stars.” PREACH.
It’s that special time again, when I share five recent pictures and try to not be so lazy with my life. Consider it my birthday present to you, dear readers.
Obligatory crappy fireworks shot; building isn’t on fire — this isn’t San Diego
Real life: Holly testing our friendship with Gronk and LeBron praise
It’s the official weekend now, so get out and celebrate it! I’ll be spending mine with the college bestie and my hairstylist (finally!) … nothing like the 6th of July to get people excited about freedom.
Today is my 25th birthday, and I’m overcome with a mix of feelings. I’m happy for this annual celebration’s arrival. I’m anxious over what the next year will bring. And, I’m pensive about this past year’s decisions and dreams that shaped where I am today. My emotions are complicated enough, so this week’s obsessions are simple:
- Fireworks: No 4th of July celebration is complete without booms of the rocket’s red glare — although they’ve been canceled enough years for me to know that life does go on. Here’s hoping tonight’s show is spectacular.
- New York Yankees: This isn’t a new obsession by any means, but I’m celebrating my freedom to cheer on the boys in pinstripes versus the Rays today. It doesn’t hurt that I met manager Joe Girardi yesterday. Life complete.
- My Mani: Colorful and sparkly, this quick nod to ‘Merica has had me smiling all week. It’s only slightly distracting as I type, but beauty is pain, right?
- Office Rah-Rah: My company does a great job of celebrating birthdays with ridiculous decorations and spirit. Derek Jeter, yellow mustard and a bottle of wine from a good friend … what more could a girl want?
Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th with your loved ones. Take a moment to thank the servicemen and women in your lives, and remember those who sacrificed everything for our freedom.
Oh, and happy birthday, America (and me)!
Katy, I always feel like a plastic bag.