I’m sure there are worse ways to start off your week than being unceremoniously dumped, but I’m struggling to think of any right now. Better sooner than later, I know. But woof. What a week it’s been — and it’s only Wednesday.
- “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”: Caitlin Doughty’s memoir served as the backdrop for this month’s Book Club pick. It’s a dark, oddly humorous and fairly emotional look at the funeral industry and the way society acknowledges death (or doesn’t). I’m intrigued to hear what my fellow clubbers thought, but I gave it an enthusiastic four stars myself.
- Support BELWOP: One of the most selfless, giving people I know is planning a mission trip to Kenya with her church. You can read more about it on Lydia’s GoFundMe page, but I hope you’ll consider giving to a spirit so bright and selfless. Any donation counts toward helping her help others.
- Bran Flakes Visits: Another of my favorite humans on the planet is coming to visit tomorrow, and her timing couldn’t be more perfect. From working on the same creative team and exploring Panama and Costa Rica, plus volunteering on a leadership board and even designing this very WO template, Brandi and I have shared some of my most treasured experiences — and I’m sure there are more to come this weekend.
- “Let’s Generalize about Men” – “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: There are some real gems out there when it comes to breakup songs, but this one is absolutely my favorite right now. If you’re not familiar with “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” songs, they’re often self-aware and a parody of ridiculous proportions. Disclaimer aside, I think anyone would enjoy this totally tubular jam.
I’m back on the west coast / best coast after an incredible week in New York. To say I’m exhausted is an understatement — but it’s always worth it to see some of my favorite people in the whole wide world.
- A Song A Day Indiegogo: You may recall my recent request for donations to my friend Shannon’s brainchild. She didn’t quite meet her Kickstarter goal, but the project is now on Indiegogo and could still use your help! If Brit + Co. is writing about it, you know it must be good 😉
- Dr. Scholl’s Tri-Comfort Orthotics: At the risk of sounding like a complete grandma, just hear me out. These little inserts are the perfect companions to any high-heeled shoe — thin enough to fit comfortably, but with the support you need for a long day (or night).
- Morrocanoil Treatment: Speaking of lifesavers, there’s a reason stylists and regular folk alike go apeshit for this stuff — just a few drops on damp or dry hair can seriously transform your tresses! I’ve been using it for a few months and love its silky, smooth effects. Best of all, the musky scent is magnetic.
- “Fantasy” – Mariah Carey f. ODB: It may not be Thursday (hear that, stupid brain!), but this throwback is always in style. It got the people going at my friend’s wedding last weekend, and I’ve had it on repeat ever since. Just remember to fast forward past the creepy clown!