I’m slightly less cranky this week, even though I had a near meltdown at lunch today when the only non-salad, milk-free option was gone. I’m counting down until Whole30 is done and can’t wait to share my results with you! I promise, it’s been worth it — even if I do cry over spilled soup.
- Nels Beauty Salon: Have you ever wanted to step inside Hello Kitty’s house or Barbie’s salon? Nels is about as close as you can get in San Francisco, and I had no idea. My friend had a Groupon for a gel manicure, so I made an appointment for myself. From the decor to the brushes and hot-stone elements, it was easily one of the best manicures I’ve ever had.
- Izakaya Kou: Another gem I recently discovered was this Japanese restaurant with a cozy, yet upscale, vibe. I’ve been grateful for any sashimi and nagiri during Whole30, and their hamachi carpaccio did not disappoint either. Although a bit pricey, this is would be a great date spot or girls’ night out option. Cheers to that!
- Yoga for CFF: Tonight, I’m proud to support my good friend and her work with Tomorrow’s Leaders in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We’ll be attending a yoga class downtown, with all proceeds benefiting the CFF. While I’m not closely connected to anyone fighting this disease, I couldn’t be more touched by what my friend does in honor of her strong sister.
- Gasparilla Invades SF: It’s that time of year again! Tampa Bay’s finest tradition comes to this Bay Area via my self-imposed celebration. The Buccaneer staff won’t know what hit ‘em, even with this being the third(? fourth?) year in a row. I’ve got the beads, temporary tattoos, bandanas and beads in tow — ARRRRGH ya ready?
It’s a cliché for a reason, but hindsight is often 20/20. I’ve struggled with feeling like I’m spinning my wheels, can’t get my head above water and all of the other phrases used to describe anxious fears. I know I’ll get through it, and I will come out stronger — but getting there is the hard part. So here’s what’s on my mind this week that’s been a welcome change:
- My Blue Apron Anniversary: Last Friday marked two years since I started using Blue Apron! I’ve enjoyed becoming a better home cook — one who knows more than how to boil water — and I’ve discovered countless recipes to add to my repertoire. Plus, I’ve had the pleasure of introducing lots of friends and family to the service, which is a win-win-win in my book!
- Women March around the World: My heart swelled seeing the outpouring of peaceful protesting last Saturday, from SF to Sydney and everywhere in between. People of all backgrounds and varying perspectives are allowed to voice their opinions, and we aren’t all going to agree. But at the end of the day, to see millions of concerned world citizens come together… it truly took my breath away.
- My 100-day Meditation Streak: Speaking of breathing, I’ve dedicated myself over the past nine months to practice self-care with meditation. I use the Calm app, and just hit a 100-day streak yesterday! It isn’t always easy to find 10 minutes to myself, but committing to this practice has kept me far more grounded and centered than I could have imagined.
- Gasparilla Invades SF: We’re bringing Tampa’s finest tradition straight to SF! Tired of missing out on the festivities, a college friend and I have organized an event to celebrate as sea wenches and swashbucklers. We may not get a key to the city, but I have a feeling it’ll be as authentic as can be. Yo-ho!
All of the excitement from the Super Bowl has left me entirely exhausted. I figure another installment of Camera Roll Call should do the trick: Entertaining you (or maybe just me) while showing off my photo skillz that killz.
Gasparilla handiwork: The ring needed its own bow too.
Traffic is wiggity, wiggity, wiggity whack.
Real nice, Senator Rubio — but Mr. Amanda is my father.
Playing MASH in the office … just a regular day.
Had lunch yesterday with Rays player David Price. It was a really big table.
If this isn’t a testament to how random my life is, then I don’t know what is.
I’ll take an order of David Price with a red dune buggy and Kris Kross on the side, please and thank you.
This hump day has pretty much kicked me in my hypothetical balls and rubbed my face in dirt — just for good measure. The Band-Aid to my wounds? These four lovelies:
- USF: I’m always obsessed with my Alma Mater, the University of South Florida. But this week, we have two guys going to the Super Bowl (you down with JPP?), and our Tampa campus hosted the GOP debate Monday night! GOOO BULLS 🙂
- Gasparilla: The annual pirate invasion of Tampa Bay began last week, and this weekend is the piece de resistance — an all-out boozefest, with beads and beards alike! Yo ho, yo ho.
- Squaresville: This South Tampa hidden gem is a one-stop shop for all of your vintage needs. From Golden Girls coozies to pirate-themed tanks, they’ve got it. Just beware: The owner’s snark takes some getting used to.
- “This City” by Patrick Stump: I actually can’t stand this song, but I figure since I’m so enamored with Tampa this week, I might as well celebrate it. Learn it, live it, love it.
Signing off before anything else goes wrong tonight … I think Brian Williams said it best Monday: