This week’s obsessions come to you from a cruising altitude of 35,000 feet as I make my way to Florida for my cousin Shannon’s wedding. That said, here are four very Shannon-specific things I’m thrilled to celebrate:
- The Olsen Twins: While collecting fodder for my Maid of Honor speech, one theme just kept popping up. We used to look alike as kids and are only a year or two younger than these famous twins — so naturally, we recreated their performances and watched their movies endlessly. Don’t act like you didn’t love “It Takes Two.”
- Walt Disney World: Our destination for many family vacations eventually became a playground (and workplace, at times) for Shannon as an adult. I may not be the world’s biggest Disney enthusiast, but I can appreciate how happy it makes her. She even got engaged on Disney’s property and played Belle from “Beauty & the Beast” in an Orlando production! Doesn’t get much more magical than that.
- Girl Scouts: Shannon is incredibly talented as a singer and artist, and I… well I am not. So while we didn’t always participate in the same extracurriculars, we were involved in Girl Scouts for a long time together (and of course Magz was our Troop Leader)! I don’t ever want to sell cookies again but I wouldn’t mind a box of Peanut Butter Patties (AKA Tagalongs) right now.
- Brian Regan: Among many, many Comedy Central routines we listened to, Brian Regan’s standup stands out the most. It got to the point where I even sent Shannon postcards with “This city has big buildings I like food bye.” Settle in for some serious laughs.
It’s time for the next installment of my latest series, wherein I complain about first world problems — AKA things I should be grateful I have access to but annoy me anyway.
Remember those Girl Scout cookies I was so obsessed with just two days ago? Well, we’ve hit a snag.
Not only is the serving size ridiculous, fooling you into thinking they’re “not that bad,” (Two cookies? How rude.) but they also greatly vary the amount of cookies in each box.
Why do I get a mountain of Thin Mints and a molehill of the others? It’s just not fair. Honey Boo Boo can’t promote autographed cookie boxes, and I go through my favorite cookies twice as fast as the so-called most popular.
I’m all for Thin Mints; I get why they’re all the rage. But you can’t tell me Peanut Butter Patties (Tagalongs, for the rest of the world) and Caramel deLites (Samoas) aren’t worthy of some well-deserved praise too.
This just doesn’t add up in my book.
It’s not an issue of money, because I’m happy to support the organization that gave me so much while growing up. And I’m no mathematician, but I’m pretty sure one variety shouldn’t have 40 in a box while another has 15. Boo, hiss.
Thankfully, this blogger found a solution for the in-between months of Girl Scout cookie season. I just hope the bakeries will get it together and level the playing field for us cookie monsters.
- Eggs Benedict: My first experience with this dish years ago (in NYC, actually) was a bad one, resulting in illness. I finally got over it two weeks ago and my Keys roommate created our own version. The curse is lifted!
- The Bee’s Knees Peanut Butter: A friend recommended this healthier version of PB, and I finally found it at a local market. Honey and peanut butter come together to make it seriously difficult to not lick the jar clean.
- Girl Scout Cookies: Um, duh. I ordered a few boxes months ago and had totally forgotten — until I returned to the office Monday with them sitting at my desk. Thank goodness my teammates are open to sharing … the last thing I need is 40 Thin Mints laying around.
- “Between the Raindrops” – Lifehouse f. Natasha Bedingfield: After all these treats, it’s pretty obvious a workout is in order. This beat starts a bit slow but picks up and makes it nearly impossible to not dance, run or jump around. Enjoy!
Today marks the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts of the USA, founded in Savannah by Juliette “Daisy” Gordon Low. While we all love the cookies, the benefits of scouting — including leadership and youth development — are endless. The Girl Scouts marked many milestones in my childhood and teen years, so it’s only fitting that I revisit some of my favorite past trends and update them for this millennium.
The Side Pony Grew Up to Become –> The Side Braid
Want to play outside with the big kids, but need to scrape the hair off your face? Enter side ponytail. The side braid is the best I-rolled-out-of-bed-but-have-a-big-girl-job style and takes just a few seconds and bobby pins to create.
Hypercolor Grew Up to Become –> Neon
Whatever happened to that crazy trend where your body heat created “fun” patterns in different colors? It matured a bit, got introduced to a classier crowd and was born again as the new neon. And from lips to fingertips, it’s so hot right now.
The Skort Grew Up to Become –> The Romper
I haven’t personally tried out the updated version (I fear the saggy-butt effect), but I rocked a mean jean skort in the ’90s. My fave?: The orange-and-purple gem with Minnie’s face along the bottom edge. Straight-up gangster at La Petite Academy.
Stirrup Pants Grew Up to Become –> Jeggings
This is the trend I miss the most — anchoring my stretchy pants into my shoes was right up there with those plastic T-shirt clips I coveted. Lucky for me, jeggings have hit the runway and are here to stay. Get a pair with extra stretch, so they feel surprisingly similar to the OG version. Oh yeah.
Jellies Grew Up to Become –> “Adult” Jellies
The first form of torture my feet ever knew are now available in women’s sizes too. If you’ve been craving an awkward waffle-pattern imprint and sunburn for your toes, these are just the thing. Plastic – on your feet – now.
Which trends from your childhood have you reinvented? I’m eager to find an appropriate update to my famed collection of slap bracelets. Rock on.
Sweet, sweet playlist — you’re welcome.
Search by Keyword/Phrase
What You’re Reading
Look Back at It
- RT @yayalexisgay: when you love the em-dash https://t.co/0XO8JfD7sG 1 day ago
- 😍😍😍😍 Joy personified at the #MacysParade twitter.com/damianholbrook… 1 week ago
- Is it weird that my first thought was how Kate McKinnon will need an epic Weekend Update send-off? @nbcsnl apple.news/AlauIiuqFSbePF… 1 week ago