It’s the highest holy day known as Galentine’s Day and silly me neglected to prep this post ahead of the festivities. Between an 11-hour workday, making Valentine’s for co-workers, a girls’ night out at yoga and a recurring broken circuit, I do solemnly swear it wasn’t my intention to leave you hanging.
So here are a few Galentine’s gifs to get you in the spirit, even if the day is almost over (slash already over for East Coasters). Here’s hoping you’re celebrating all the fabulous gals in your life, near and far!
And speaking of national holidays, my college bestie reminded me of today’s other important holiday:
Happy anniversary, Ryan & Kelly!
Happy International Women’s Day! I hope you’re all able to celebrate the women in your lives every day, but especially so today. If you’re anything like me, you dug out your LRD and toasted the fab females you’re lucky to love 😉
- Shannon’s visiting!: Hot off the heels of my former roomie’s visit, my cousin Shannon arrives tomorrow! It’ll be her first trip to California and I hope to make it a memorable one. She always brings out the big kid in me, and I always… well, I always entertain her with my impatience for tourists. Just look at those mischievous smirks — it should be a hoot!
- Beach Blanket Babylon: As much as I don’t love tourists or touristy things, I will happily see this campy, historical revue in SF anytime! I took Erica last week and am excited to return tomorrow night with Shannon. The hats and humor are outrageous, the songs are fantastic and it truly is a can’t-miss experience.
- JLSF March Madness Kickoff Party: As Provisional (AKA first-year) members of the Junior League of San Francisco, we put on a fundraiser for the League. Our March Madness Kickoff Party is next Thursday, March 16, and is sure to be a success. We’ll have a silent auction, wine pull, photo booth and games — what’s not to love? Get your tickets (or make a donation) here.
- “Girls” – Beyoncé: This isn’t my fave of Beyoncé’s body of work, but there is arguably no better female anthem than this. Top five, at least. I heard it blasting in my barre class this morning, on my Chariot ride to work (props to Maria for the lady power!), and am pumping it now for good vibes only. Who run this mother?
This one’s for the ladies! Side note: Every time I say that, I think of Tina Fey’s scene in “Baby Mama” where she gets on the turntables and plays “Lady in Red” at a Manhattan nightclub.
OK, back to business:
- International Women’s Day: Yesterday’s worldwide celebration of women was, simply put, awesome. Whether you shared inspirational quotes, sentimental stories or simply a smile to the ladies in your life, I hope you had a lovely day 🙂
- Saraswati’s Hijab Transformations: Talk about talent — this Malaysian makeup artist uses her hijab and makeup to transform into pop culture icons, from Disney personalities to comic book characters. Check out more of her work on Instagram @queenofluna.
- Ipsy: My brother and sister-in-law gifted me this beauty bag subscription service for Christmas, and “obsessed” is an understatement. The bags are super cute and reusable, and I’ve already fallen for a few of the products. It’s better than Birchbox, in my humble opinion.
- Spotify’s Women in Music & Culture Playlists: My fave music service also got in on the International Women’s Day festivities. Spotify released 15 playlists from various genres, highlighting decades of iconic females. I’m really digging the Women of Pop and Women of Country compilations… what about you?
I split my pants today.
So that happened … and though it was thankfully in a spot where most wouldn’t notice, it was really the cherry on top of an accident-prone week. Oh, yeah — it’s WEDNESDAY. What disasters will the next few days bring? Only time will tell. Let’s focus on something happy, instead:
- Name that ‘Stache Calendar: Now that I’m all set up with a real live desk, I’ve got this daily laugh to keep me entertained. Many thanks to Santa for the excellent stocking stuffer.
- My Shows Return: From “GIRLS” to “Nashville” to “Workaholics,” I couldn’t be more pumped for this week’s winter premieres. Thank you, cable gods.
- This someecard: I have an ever-growing love for these guys, but maybe no other has been as true as this one. I pinned it yesterday and it’s since gotten 100 repins — so I know I’m not the only one feeling that way.
- The 70th Annual Golden Globes: How is it I’m still enthralled with recaps of the awards show I watched three days ago? Simple: Tina, Amy and Jennifer killed it. Enjoy.
Now that I’m a big-time city girl (no, really), I must share the apps I’ve recently downloaded and learned to love. Whether in need of dinner delivery or photo finessing, these free apps are worthy of the prestigious WO nod.
- Seamless: Hungry, but don’t feel like leaving the apartment? Too tired to even speak to another human being? Then, Seamless is for you: Order from local restaurants with just a few clicks, and enjoy a new food find faster than you can say “Forever lazy.”
- EmbarkNYC: Master mass transit and everyday travel in Manhattan (and outlying boroughs) with the help of this easy-to-use app. I prefer it to HopStop, which requires Wi-Fi, AKA it won’t work when you’re underground.
- Pic Stitch: I’ve used another photo app for a while and ignored the growing Pic Stitch trend. Silly me, I didn’t realize the craze was merited with simple navigation and special features. I’m now a convert.
- This Quiz: OK, so it’s not an app. But I had to mention Tres Sugar’s on-point quiz to determine quotes from “Girls” and “Sex and the City.” The former returns to HBO this Sunday for season 2 and the latter is the definitive single-in-NYC series.
Stay tuned for more frequent updates, as we finally get Internet in the apartment this weekend! The joys of 21st Century living.