WO: Weekly Obsessions
It’s the inevitable WO-before-Thanksgiving post, so I won’t be offended if you tune out before you hit the end of this sentence.
If you’re still reading this, then I’m thankful for YOU. Those suckers who abandoned already are dead to me!
And for real, this year has brought so much change to my life, I have to be grateful for the many blessings — even when I’m missing my former studio apartment or relaxed office vibe.
I’m thankful to have a roof over my head, gainful employment, friends who treat me like family, electricity, food, running water, the means to take care of myself, and so many other “basics” that really aren’t basic at all. (And, I’m not referencing Pumpkin Spice Latte basic-ness.)
While my travel plans for Thanksgiving changed, who knew it was for good reason after all? Now I have a work trip Monday, to interview candidates for an open role on my team.
When my job hunt seemed endlessly futile, it culminated in TWO offers within 24 hours of each other — allowing me the choice to make my next move, which not everyone is afforded.
When my struggles have sometimes felt endless and disheartening, I can appreciate how small they are compared to the world’s larger issues. I can be an agent of change for women’s rights, sexual assault victims, hurricane survivors, healthcare issues, and more — and I am still allowed to think my small problems feel really big to me, too.
We’re all in this together, and I’m hopeful this boiling, ever-changing social climate we’re in will soon reflect a lot less judgment and a lot more compassion.
However you’re spending this Thanksgiving holiday, I wish you all continued blessings, love and kindness.
WO: Weekly Obsessions
As ready as I am for 2016 to be dunzo, it’s only fitting to take time this week to reflect on the things for which I’m grateful. Cliche? Absolutely. But essential to the healing process? You betcha.
- Wittyburg Is Six: True to form, I missed my sixth blogiversary last month. With more than 280 WO posts, plus more than 22,000 visits to this little site, you readers give me reason to keep going each week. I can’t say enough how much it means for me to have your support and enduring readership. Here’s to the next year, and beyond!
- Macy’s 90th Thanksgiving Day Parade: I’m super pumped to be back in NYC for another romp in this iconic Thanksgiving Day tradition. The early morning, long hours and chaos are more than worth it to see the smiling faces of thousands lined up for the parade. Look out for Sinclair Oil’s green dinosaur balloon — I’ll be doing my best to hold him down!
- Family Dinner: After the parade, I’ll head to Connecticut to spend time with extended family. My maternal grandpa died in 2014 and his sister, Mary, is his last living sibling. She’s got some of the best stories, and a huge heart, and she’s graciously opened her doors so I can celebrate with her clan. I can’t wait for the craziness to ensue!
- “Hymn for the Weekend” Coldplay f. Beyoncé: You read that right; I’m litchrlly recommending a Coldplay song for your eardrums. Oh, and Queen Bey gets the “featuring” credit, which is potentially a first for her. What better way to celebrate an extra-long weekend — my first in about 10 years? — than with this soothing salute? Everyone enjoy.
Images courtesy of: Local Locale, Sinclair Oil, Publix, Clifford Stumme
WO: Weekly Obsessions
It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
Images courtesy of: Mah iPhone, NY Mag, Terrific Tours, AdAge
WO: Weekly Obsessions
It’s Thanksgiving Eve, and I couldn’t be more excited for a long weekend to spend time with the family. Although Brother and Sister-in-Law are off enjoying their honeymoon, we’ll be raising a glass in their absence. And, I’ll raise four more to these lovelies:
- Oh Happy Day!: This party and lifestyle blog is simple, sweet and just a little bit off. There’s no shortage of inspiration, and the adorable DIYs remind me of my dear friend April (Hi, lady!).
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: The iconic Turkey Day tradition kicks off tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST, and I’m especially anxious to see Snoopy. OK, Garfield too. Bring on the balloons!
- essie + BaubleBar: What do you get when you combine awesome nail polish and three pieces of fabulous jewelry? This dangerous promotion – plus, get $10 off when you sign up for BaubleBar!
- “Thanksgiving Song”: I’ve heard it a hundred times, but it never gets old. Adam Sandler’s goofy Thanksgiving serenade is a must this time of year.
Gobble till you wobble, folks. And have a happy Thanksgiving holiday 🙂
Images courtesy of: Oh Happy Day, Examiner, BaubleBar, Examiner
30 Days of Thanks
As the holidays approach, there are plenty of stressors and to-do lists that keep us busy and bustling. Following suit from some friends who’ve done the same, I’ve taken a step back to reflect about what I’m thankful for this year.
I’m thankful for …
- The big G keeping me grounded and reminding me that some things are just out of our control.
- My mom, who is a constant source of support and strength. I’d be lost without her.
- My dad, who has taught me how to overcome life’s obstacles and curveballs with determination and poise.
- Brother and his fiancée — for their hospitality and adorable dogs, among many other things.
- Friends who can make me smile when I just want to cry.
- Opportunities I’ve been granted, allowing me to advance in personal and professional circles.
- Music, which gets me through killer workdays and workouts.
This will be a weekly feature here each Monday in November, so stay tuned for more!