OK. I’m ready to talk about it.
I’ve dreaded today pretty much since my dad died last year. Well, to be fair … I’ve dreaded many days since then.
And our family is uniquely challenged: Each milestone is not only our first without him, but our first with my niece, who was born 13 days after his death.
So here we are, another first. And as hard as it is sometimes to get up and face the day, I have my dad’s voice echoing in my head, pushing me to remember:
- Check the forecast: It’s not always accurate, but you’ll be better prepared knowing what storms are out there.
- Learn from mistakes: If you make the same one twice, it’s no longer a mistake. It’s a choice.
- Respect the past: The work ethic, loyalty and discipline defined elder generations for a reason and should be revered.
- Biology doesn’t make you a father: Uncles, grandpas, brothers, cousins, neighbors … every man who’s contributed to your growth has been a dad to you.
- Keep on cruising: Life might deal you some shit circumstances, but they won’t define you. What you do with those circumstances, does define you.
These little nuggets of Slick Rick’s wisdom have helped carry me through the hardest of times, even helping me to smile today.
Especially for Brother, who celebrates his first Father’s Day with his beautiful baby girl. He — among others — may not realize it, but being a father figure in my life has truly saved and shaped me.
Wishing you and yours a happy Father’s Day. God bless.
The best part of a long weekend? Um, it’s a long weekend.
The worst part of a long weekend? It takes the rest of the week to figure out what day it actually is.
I’m 80% certain it’s Wednesday, so here you go, faithful followers:
- Treasure Island: A few days of sand and surf were more than enough to send me straight to relaxation station. You have to check out this idyllic vacation spot the next time you’re in Florida — I know I will!
- Allison’s Baptism: My niece, AKA the cutest child alive, was baptized this weekend and I’m honored to be her Godmother. Just look at that smile! She’s obviously perfect. And trouble.
- The Fault in Our Stars: This book deserves its own post, because I devoured it in less than 24 hours and felt all the feels. The movie looks interesting, too … even if I don’t like Shailene Whatsherface.
- “Not a Bad Thing” – Justin Timberlake: Well, JT does it again. I’ve learned that an earworm stuck in our heads for days is just his MO. The video is also great, because, you know, Jusssstin.