I’m back from a fabulous girls’ trip in Texas, and despite an amazing time away, I returned with unwanted souvenirs… I woke up in our AirBnb Sunday morning covered with welts that I feared to be bed bug bites.
A lot of Benadryl, bug sprays, laundry and itching later, and I’m finally seeing some of the bumps go away — not the ones on my face, of course. As you can imagine, it’ll be a long time before I trust AirBnb’s services again. In any event, here are four things that have helped keep me in good spirits:
- San Antonio River Walk: We walked all along this beautiful part of town, enjoying a plethora of food and drink options, plus a relaxing riverboat tour. We experienced a few bee swarms (I’m clearly a magnet for insects), but luckily, no one was stung. The weather was perfect, and I’d definitely recommend exploring if you’re ever in San Antonio.
- Austin’s Driskill Hotel: There were tons of places we were told to see in Austin, too, but the Driskill Hotel took my breath away. Stunning architecture, true Texan decor and delicious specialty cocktails made for an enchanting evening overall. Plus, I hear it’s haunted 😀
- Warriors Making History: The Bay Area is electric with the hot-hot-hot Warriors and their run to become the winningest NBA team ever. Fingers crossed they can take it to the house tonight and make history happen. I can’t afford tickets anyway, but I’ll be watching from my couch with sweaty palms and a cold beer.
- Brothers Prank Sister with Zombie Apocalypse: What good is having your sibling on post-op Novocain if you can’t capture their reactions on YouTube? The three Phillips brothers took advantage of their sister’s wisdom tooth surgery and pulled off a ridiculous zombie apocalypse prank. It’s no wonder the viral video has more than 9 million views.
Also, this is my 250th Weekly Obsessions post! I can’t quite believe it’s been such a long-running tradition, but I thank each of you who continues to read every week. Xoxo 🙂
You know it’s been a crazy couple of weeks at work when you have recurring dreams … about work. The only way to combat such nonsense? Let’s start with these four highlights:
- “The Great Gatsby”: Despite touting its soundtrack as the best of 2013, I hadn’t seen the Baz Luhrmann masterpiece until recently. It’s a visual spectacle and takes F. Scott’s Fitzgerald’s narrative to explosive, extravagant new heights.
- Aziz Ansari’s Love Advice: I can’t wait to read the undoubtedly hilarious writing debut from Ansari, called “Modern Romance.” Till then, BuzzFeed graciously cooridinated a Q&A sesh that doesn’t disappoint.
- Warriors Win!: I was thrilled to have both of my Bay Areas in the playoffs recently, but sadly the Lightning didn’t pull through against the Blackhawks. Thankfully, the Warriors brought home a trophy for the first time in 40 years — what a sight to see!
- “GDFR” – Flo Rida f. Sage the Gemini & Lookas: This song should be in the dictionary next to “pump-up jam.” Whether you’re hitting the gym or the bar, you just feel like you can take on the world after hearing this one.
Despite needing a few days to recover from Katie’s fantastic visit, I managed to fill up last weekend with plenty of plans. I should be recovered just in time for another whirlwind weekend. It’s an ugly cycle, ain’t it?
- Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters: I recently met up with a new friend at this delightful little coffee shop. The croissant was delicious, and the iced coffee was the perfect jumpstart to my day. Another SF location is coming soon, and I can’t wait to see this place really take off!
- “The Bachelorette”: I totally hate myself for getting sucked into this series, but Kaitlyn Bristowe is just so entertaining — plus, the guys are equal parts intriguing and repulsive. The pool we’re running at work may or may not also have some influence on my addiction.
- Riley Curry: Kids say the darndest things, and this precocious 2-year-old is no exception. She’s getting national attention for being the freshest addition to any press conference, and she sure as hell knows how to work the camera.
- “Blessings” – Big Sean f. Drake & Kanye West: Now that you’ve fallen in love with Riley, I dare you to listen to this song and not hear “Bwessings” in her voice. Sorry, boys. The toddler wins every time.