I’ve gone pretty much nonstop since last week, even writing this in between happy hours and other social outings. I’m not complaining, although my marathon of watching Olympics coverage has slowed down considerably.
And, as a sure sign that I’m officially 29, I was just “laying down for a nap” last Friday before this Rave of Thrones event, only to wake up hours later after missing the whole thing.
- Britney/Taylor Mashup Night: I made up for lost time Saturday night with my first-ever visit to famed SF nightclub Bootie, because why else? It was Britney/Taylor Mashup Night! I expected a little more of “Bad Blood… One More Time,” but was truly amazed at the DJs’ abilities to mix Eminem, Black Sabbath and more with the queens of pop.
- Red Dog: Another day, another happy hour. This SOMA bar was the second stop on a night where I said farewell to both current co-workers and former colleagues who were leaving their respective companies. Red Dog was a perfect setting — friendly staff, delicious food and strong drinks.
- Barry’s Boot Camp: In case it wasn’t completely clear, I’m in need of a detox more than anything. Since that’s unlikely to ever happen, I’ve instead taken advantage of promotions through work to try “The Best Workout in the World.” It’s kicked my ass, motivated me and been, truly, one of the best group fitness classes I’ve ever tried. Best of all, the friends I made go with me are still speaking to me.
- Jessica’s “Daily Affirmation”: This toddler’s uplifting pep talk went viral a few years ago, but has recently made a resurgence and I’m not mad about it. Whether it’s your hair or your pajamas or your whole house, I hope you too have things you like and believe you can do anything good!
I switched to a later work schedule this week, and — knowing full well that I’d never work out in the late evening — I’ve started hitting the gym before the office. I’ve already learned so much …
- We have a lot of elderly members. South Tampa is notorious for yuppie, Ed Hardy–wearing douchebags, so it’s completely foreign to see so many grannies sweatin’ to the oldies.
- I need a new playlist. Until today, my “Gymmy Gym Gym” mix has kept me going. But Nelly, Katy, Florence and The Lonely Island just weren’t doing it for me in the 8 o’clock hour.
- Don’t believe the “shampoo, conditioner and body wash provided” promise. I luckily didn’t need to wash my hairs, but the so-called “body wash” was just pathetic. I’ll be bringing my own from now on, thankyouverymuch.
- Most women don’t wash their hands. In the 15 minutes I spent primping, I witnessed four women use the restroom without washing their hands afterward. Gross with a capital GAH.
- Taking a two-lane road to work is too stressful. My first time taking this particular street to the office was a freaking nightmare. As if traffic isn’t bad enough, there’s no way to get around the idiots you’re stuck behind.
I’m planning to get in 30 minutes earlier tomorrow and Friday, provided my affinity for the snooze button doesn’t win again. And, I’m now accepting suggestions for the playlist — just no trance music, please.