Tomorrow is my birthday, which means I’d normally be in a constant mode of self-reflection and criticism and wondering if I’m where I “should” be. It only feels good in the moment, as if I’m “doing something about it,” but then leaves me in a tailspin of turmoil. What I find much more rejuvenating (and as a result, better for my skin!) is to live and let live. Look out, 32!
- Birthday, Unabashed: I’m a constant work in progress, always looking to learn and grow and evolve. All that pressure, though, is exhausting. When I take stock of things in my life, I am more happy than not. I am more at peace with my accomplishments and failures, my triumphs and trials, than I’ve been in a very long time. That’s something to celebrate.
- Self-Care Saturday: A big piece of my identity has been how low maintenance I aim to be. But, that’s often equated to me not taking care of myself in ways I actually do enjoy. So last Saturday, I had my makeup done by the magical Melinda at Sephora and my hair done by the genius Paul at Atelier Emmanuel, and I didn’t feel ashamed or frivolous or self-conscious for a single second 💁♀️
- This Map: The first gift this year was from my biggest fan, my Mom. Another selfish (in a good way) pursuit I’m working on is traveling more, and this scratch-off map will help ensure inspired planning. Spoiler alert: We already have tickets booked for Ireland in August, and I’ll be hitting up Germany’s Oktoberfest in the fall. Danke, Mama!
- “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo: I’m obsessed with Lizzo’s entire album, music videos, voice, body, ALL. OF. IT. This banger is far and away my favorite. I wake up with it in my head, I go to sleep with it in my head, I hum it in the shower, I’ve contributed to ~100 views of the video. Painting a pretty clear picture of my devotion, no? Some NSFW lyrics but I dare you to not love it.
I can’t contain my excitement for what this week holds, so without any delay:
- WO is 300!: That’s right, this post marks THREE HUNDRED weeks of obsessions! Aside from shouting “This is Sparta!,” I could use some celebration suggestions. And I owe you lovely readers a mountain of gratitude — there were plenty of Wednesdays I wanted to abandon this blog and hide from the world, but you’ve kept me going week after week. 300 thanks to each of you for sticking with me all this time!
- Bumble and bumble. Hair Color Stick: As the lucky recipient of two parents with early-gray genes, I dye my hair regularly to cover my roots. It’s an expensive hobby, but one I prioritize over most others. My stylist introduced me to this little crayon of wonder, and it’s been a lifesaver for those final weeks between appointments. You don’t need a lot — just a few dabs can do the trick to revive your tresses and your cashflow.
- “The Great British Bake Off”: I’d seen countless memes and lists of why GBBO was worth watching, but hadn’t committed until recently. Netflix has three seasons available, and I was positively hooked. Unlike most (American) competition shows, the contestants have a genuine love and respect for each other. That’s not to say there’s a shortage of drama, though. Presenters Mel and Sue, and judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood — those names! — keep it interesting and worth watching down to the last morsel.
- “The Toy Box”: My friend April informed me a while back about a show coming soon with the “Apparently” kid, and just shared this trailer with me. Hosted by lovable lad from “Modern Family,” Eric Stonestreet, juvenile judges put toy ideas to the test and the results are hilarious. It’s like “Shark Tank” with kids, but I think we’ll like this panel a lot more than Mr. Wonderful and Mark Cuban.
I’m back on the west coast / best coast after an incredible week in New York. To say I’m exhausted is an understatement — but it’s always worth it to see some of my favorite people in the whole wide world.
- A Song A Day Indiegogo: You may recall my recent request for donations to my friend Shannon’s brainchild. She didn’t quite meet her Kickstarter goal, but the project is now on Indiegogo and could still use your help! If Brit + Co. is writing about it, you know it must be good 😉
- Dr. Scholl’s Tri-Comfort Orthotics: At the risk of sounding like a complete grandma, just hear me out. These little inserts are the perfect companions to any high-heeled shoe — thin enough to fit comfortably, but with the support you need for a long day (or night).
- Morrocanoil Treatment: Speaking of lifesavers, there’s a reason stylists and regular folk alike go apeshit for this stuff — just a few drops on damp or dry hair can seriously transform your tresses! I’ve been using it for a few months and love its silky, smooth effects. Best of all, the musky scent is magnetic.
- “Fantasy” – Mariah Carey f. ODB: It may not be Thursday (hear that, stupid brain!), but this throwback is always in style. It got the people going at my friend’s wedding last weekend, and I’ve had it on repeat ever since. Just remember to fast forward past the creepy clown!
Back to life, back to reality … which for me apparently means getting sick because, why not? Luckily, I was able to enjoy some weekend lovelies and am slowly on the road to recovery.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: What do two young women who share a love for sea otters do on a Saturday? They drive down to Monterey Bay to ooh and ahh at marine life for hours! I could see my niece having an absolute blast here, and there’s plenty to keep the adults entertained, too.
- Carmel Ridge Winery: After our time at the aquarium, we stumbled upon this little tasting room with sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean. The staff was so awesome and friendly, and the live music was fantastic. For just $10, we enjoyed a tasting flight of five different varietals — you can’t beat that!
- “Cecelia” – Simon & Garfunkel: You read that correctly. I am unabashedly obsessed with this song, and my friend blasted it mercilessly at my request during our weekend road trip. Don’t even act like you don’t love it, too.
- Atelier Emmanuel: I can’t believe I haven’t gushed about this place before! I’ve seen Nicole at this salon for six months, and she’s taken my hair to a whole new level. I never thought I’d embrace my strawberry blonde roots, but the staff at AE assure me it’s #flawless.