It’s my favorite holiday — aside from my birthday, which is an actual holiday — but I digress. So, it’s only fitting I share this year’s costumes.
Yes, you read that right. I had both a personal and “professional” costume this year — not profesh like “Look at that boss lady,” but rather joining my team’s idea instead of doing my own thing for once.
I think that’s called personal growth.
A real-life fidget spinner in the wild. I hate the trend but couldn’t ignore it.
Part of my SF team appearing as the “Stranger Things” kids!
However you’re celebrating tonight, have fun and be safe! #Boo!
It’s one of the best days of the year, pumpkinheads!
I took a few years off from really celebrating, but I think this year’s costume may be my best yet. It wouldn’t have been possible without the craftsmanship of my dear friend Sarah, and the fine folks at Center Hardware in SF.
However you’re celebrating this year, have safe and fun festivities. Cheers!
What a roller coaster of a week it’s been. Just when you think things are good and settled, life has a funny way of knocking you down from your ivory tower. (Cue “Low Places” by Garth Brooks.) In any event, here we are, and here’s what’s on my mind:
- Remembering GAM: My dad’s Aunt Merlyn lived a full life into her late eighties, but passed peacefully over the weekend. She was the last strong connection we had to his family, and known throughout the family tree as our go-to genealogist. I’m comforted knowing my dad and her siblings were there to welcome her with open arms, and that she’ll be remembered for many years to come.
- A Working Radiator: It only took about five months of complaining to my HOA for them to realize I wasn’t just an idiot who couldn’t figure out the radiator. And, after four unsuccessfully scheduled appointments with the plumbers, the fifth time was the charm! It’s been about 36 hours with a noiseless radiator, and I don’t believe I’ve ever heard such beautiful silence.
- Target Decor FTW: In the spooky spirit of the upcoming bewitching hour, I found myself on Target’s mobile app, adding to cart like it’s my damn job. Among other fun finds, I was especially psyched for this Dia de Los Muertos wreath and marquee sign. Safe to say, the sign won’t be the only thing lit this Halloween 😉
- Allison Weiss: I revisited the days of “10 Things I Hate about You” with a friend last week and saw Letters to Cleo perform in SF. They absolutely rocked it, and I was completely taken aback by their opener, Allison Weiss. Her voice is captivating, her stage presence is comedic, and her talent is undeniable. Please, enjoy.
After five packed days back in NYC, it’s safe to say it’s a good thing I no longer live there. My skin, liver, wallet and waistline desperately needed a break from the city that never sleeps. Side note: I, too, apparently never sleep while there. Good thing I’ve got an SNL-laden tribute this week to keep spirits high in my disoriented state.
- Trump’s Halloween “Apprentice” Promo: OK, so this is obviously a throwback to when Darrell Hammond was the king of impersonating Donald Trump, and not Alec Baldwin. It’s kind of eerie to watch it back now, as Trump is now one of our candidates for President, and the impression is dead-on. I recall giggling endlessly at his attempt at an evil laugh, so I hope you’ll enjoy it, too.
- Ashlee Simpson’s Lip-sync Hoedown: In that very same episode, Ashlee Simpson gave us a dance to remember forever. She delivered hit single “Pieces of Me” just fine in the first performance, but in her second shot at the stage, that same song — with vocals — began playing. What would I do in that situation? God only knows. But her awkward jig is burned into our brains, so I hope I would have come up with something a little less memorable.
- Melaniade: Of particular relevance with the impending election was last week’s pre-filmed short, featuring the women in Donald Trump’s life taking him down (and taking him back) à la Beyoncé. If this doesn’t make you laugh, I don’t know what will. It also might make you cringe, but hey, that’s kind of what SNL does best.
- Bruno Mars Is “24K Magic”: I was disappointed to see Emily Blunt hosting last week — not because she married John Krasinski and I loathe her for it — but because I’ve always enjoyed Bruno Mars as a host/musical guest, and he was just singing this time. The thing is, though, he’s never just singing. He’s a performer through and through, and his dynamic dancers put on quite the show.
I flew about 3,000 miles since last week’s post and boy, are my arms tired. [Insert bad-joke rimshot noise here.] I’ll spare you any more corny jokes and get right to it:
- NYC: It’s a great time of year to be back in one of the most electrifying cities on Earth. The air and leaves are crisp, the people are crazy as ever, the Mets are hanging in there, and I feel very #blessed to spend a week in the city.
- Macy’s Herald Square: A big change with this visit is that my NYC team recently moved down the street to work in offices at Herald Square. It’s completely insane walking these hallowed halls and being right in the action — but I so appreciate the chance to “be a part of it.” 😉
- Halloween: Um, duh. This year, I have a friend’s wedding to attend and will then continue the celebration at my friends’ party. The costume isn’t as surprising as you might expect, but it’s still sure to be a winner. La la la la la.
- “Hello” – Adele: OK, so everyone and their mother — litchrlly — is obsessed with this new release from the queen of soulful singing. If this is what three years of anticipation brings us, I’d have to say it’s worth the wait. And the video? Damn, girl.
In the ongoing effort to make me a true resident of this great city, I am beyond thrilled to announce that I’ll finally have assembled furniture in my apartment tomorrow! No more air mattress, no more standing in the kitchen to eat, no more sitting on the floor … unless I’m feeling super hippy-dippy and want to do some yoga. PRAISE IT.
- The Freakin’ World Series: This city is electric with the hopes of a win tonight in Game 7 of the World Series. We may never be Royals, but I think that’s a good thing. Either way, I hope a parade is in the works!
- La Taqueria: My co-workers introduced me to this heavenly little spot last weekend, and I plan to go back for more soon. The carnitas hard-shell tacos were sheer perfection on a plate — no wonder it was named America’s Best Burrito!
- Halloweenie: Hellerrrr, my favorite holiday is Friday! How will I ever live up to the costumes of years past? Easy: I just won’t. I’m still stoked to host a good friend, visiting from San Jose!
- “Black Widow” – Iggy Azalea f. Rita Ora: Iggy absolutely KILLED it on SNL last week, and Rita is like the version of Rihanna I can actually stand. Plus, this tune is perfect for the spooktacular holiday!
I learned rather quickly today the best and worst things about Halloween here in New York …
- BEST: You’re not sure if other people are in costume or their everyday attire.
- WORST: The guy dressed as “Cast Away” yelled at you for not giving him money.
- BONUS: He followed up with a rant about how he speaks American. Gotta love it.
Have a safe and happy Halloween! Here’s hoping the only spirits visiting you are 80 Proof — and enjoy this awesome playlist my co-worker made for the frightful night ahead 🙂