Sometimes the simplest things in life can truly bring the greatest pleasures. I got back to my simple roots this week and, I gotta say, it really helped me get through some shit.
- GoT Finale: Wouuuld we call this simple? No. But finally knowing how our beloved Starks and the rest of the Westeros crew fared brings such closure to the chaos. Didn’t love it, wouldn’t rate it 10/10, but does any finale ever really nail it? Thanks for the memories, GoT. And now our watch has ended.
- Olive Garden: I don’t know if there’s another restaurant that reminds me of home as much as the OG. My grandpa (Pop) was a daily visitor and everyone knows those breadsticks can inspire family feuds like no other. I had my first-ever Tour of Italy and will be visiting again soon.
- Lolli & Pops: Next to the only OG in town is a massive mall, containing this SF treasure. We were actual kids in a candy store as my friend gasped “Pineapple! Gummy sharks!” etc. etc. The massive candy bark and cookie-dough bites are worth the visit alone.
- “Candy” – Mandy Moore: Well, duh. But I also killed some time the other day watching “Center Stage” and was reminded of this perennial pop hit’s place in history. Doesn’t get sweeter than that. Love always, Mandy.
MILD SPOILERS AHEAD. So if you didn’t see last night’s GoT, just wait until Wednesday for your regularly scheduled WO.
OK so my roommate has only seen one episode of Game of Thrones (S8:E1). She watched it because she thought it was the finale. Precious child. She had no idea what she was getting herself into!
We watched last night’s episode, aptly named “The Long Night,” after hours of clearing out the old apartment with our former roommates.
While settled in a camping chair (me) and a pillow fort (her), here are some actual highlights of her watching and me explaining, and us both freaking out:
- He’s so hot
- Wait, I don’t get it
- I don’t want any of them to die! (said thrice in a row, plus more)
- Fuck! (lost count)
- I can’t watch! (lost count)
- This is scary!
- Who’s he?
- Why would she be executed?
- She killed a little girl?!
- Like I feel bad for these characters…
- It’s 90 minutes?!
- Isn’t he a eunuch?
- Is that the zombie dragon?
- There’s THREE episodes left?!
- What’s left to cover after this?
- Oh Cersei is going to die
- Cersei is so going to die
- Who’s she?
- No, not the little girl!
- Fire doesn’t do anything?
- What are they doing?
- Fuck they’re scary
- I’m scared
- YES ARYA
- NO DAENERYS
- He loves her (said multiple times in a row)
- Are they in love?
- Who’s that?
- Why’d she do that?
- Wow (lost count)
- Just wow (lost count)
Well, well, well. If it isn’t somehow already another Wednesday — the last in April, no less. If you’ve been here at all the last few weeks you know I’ve been drowning in the river of chaos. And while I’m not completely out of the woods yet (are we outta the woods?) I do see light at the end of the tunnel. How many nature metaphors can I use in one post?
- Canva: Yes, part of my job now is to research and test awesome apps. But I’ve been in love with Canva for quite a while and couldn’t believe I hadn’t mentioned it here yet. Beyond easy and fun templates for social media, you can also design your own invitations, presentations, flyers, and business cards. I still prefer to do so on the app, but the website is also pretty stellar.
- Giphy: Another great way to express yourself? With gifs. Yes, I switched to the proper “jif” pronunciation but then I judged myself so hard I switched back. If you use Slack or work in tech you’ve probably already discovered all of the magical /giphy combos to behold. It’s endlessly fun (and distracting), so please Giphy responsibly.
- GoT Final Season: Well it wouldn’t be right if I failed to cover arguably the biggest pop culture moment of the year. With just four episodes left, “Game of Thrones” is giving us all the feels and all the reasons to watch. every. second. I spiraled reading a few fan theories and am decidedly done — my heart can’t take anymore. #DanyForever
- “Jenny of Oldstones” – Florence + The Machine: SPOILERS SUPPOSEDLY.
So I haven’t spiraled into reading these theories, because I just love the song and don’t need to have it ruined. This original tune was in Sunday’s episode and sung by Daniel Portman (AKA Podrick Payne). His voice is beautiful! Then the end credits rolled and I was haunted by Florence + The Machine’s version. Seriously, chills. #NerdAlert
- “Ghostbusters: Answer the Call”: I can’t remember a movie that had me laughing for nearly the entire time, but this reboot has four fantastic leading ladies, a bunch of throwback references and some awesome eye candy. That’s what I call a winning combo.
- A Visit Back East: It’s only been six months since I was last in Florida, but so much has changed in that time and I can’t wait to get there this weekend. If I spend the entire time squishing my niece’s cheeks and watching “Zootopia” with my other niece, then I think I’ll be just fine.
- “The Night Of”: I did not need another show to watch. Really, I didn’t. But a co-worker and another friend each told me how much I needed to see this one, and I caved. I’m glad I did… the premiere left me breathless from start to finish, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of this miniseries unfolds.
- “This Is What You Came For” – Calvin Harris f. Rihanna: I honestly could not care less about the drama surrounding Taylor’s songwriting contributions (or not) to this song. And I really, really didn’t want to like it, because, Rihanna. But damn, it’s an earworm. And despite my distaste for most EDM, this one really gets me pumped.
I say it often, but I can’t quite believe how fast time flies! We’re nearly halfway through 2015, yet it feels like New Year’s Eve was just a few weeks ago. Of course, it doesn’t help that back-to-school ads are already out when it’s still JUNE. But, I digress:
- “Silicon Valley”: I’m behind the trend, but this HBO show focused on the infamous valley’s tech bubble is pure genius. Most of the main cast are longtime standup comedians; and the humor is smart, snarky and of course, tech-douchey. Watch it on demand, till it returns next spring.
- The Chieftain Irish Pub & Restaurant: I pass this authentic Irish establishment on my daily morning commute, and I finally had the chance to stop in last week for a pint. The service was great, the atmosphere electric, and we endlessly enjoyed our respective cider and ale.
- “Hey Girl” Journal: A super-thoughtful co-worker and friend gifted me this delightful little journal to pen all my deep thoughts — particularly about the Gosman himself. It’s filled with “Hey Girl” quotes and doodles of Gosling … sure to provide endless hours of entertainment.
- “Shut Up and Dance” – Walk the Moon: Upbeat lyrics + a poppy track + constant encouragement to shake it = a winning combo. This one’s been on repeat for me lately, and I make no apologies for it.
Since I’m officially a senior citizen and enjoy discussing the weather at great length, I thought you should know that my KNEECAPS were sweating yesterday. Sunshine is finally upon us in the city, and I couldn’t be happier to show up at work with soaked knees and a flushed face.
Lovely visuals, huh? Let’s get some nicer ones in your mind:
- “Game of Thrones”: I know, I know. I’m way behind on this one, because my stubborn inner voice said I’d never enjoy such an unbelievable show. Well, I’m hooked. Just seven episodes in, I plan to binge-watch all weekend.
- Warmer Weather: Isn’t it obvious? I can finally put away my sweaters and pants, and trade them for tank tops and flip-flops! My summer wardrobe is ON POINT (thanks to decades in Florida), so I’m sure my office is also thankful to see my oatmeal sweaters retire.
- 230 Fifth: The rooftop space of this swanky hotel and lounge was perfect for a summer concert. Their service wasn’t great, but the views and atmosphere more than made up for it.
- Platinum Album – Miranda Lambert: That summer concert I just attended? It was for the Queen of Country, whose latest album I’ve had on repeat since yesterday’s release. “Platinum,” “Priscilla” and “Somethin’ Bad” are my top tunes so far.
Now that I’m a big-time city girl (no, really), I must share the apps I’ve recently downloaded and learned to love. Whether in need of dinner delivery or photo finessing, these free apps are worthy of the prestigious WO nod.
- Seamless: Hungry, but don’t feel like leaving the apartment? Too tired to even speak to another human being? Then, Seamless is for you: Order from local restaurants with just a few clicks, and enjoy a new food find faster than you can say “Forever lazy.”
- EmbarkNYC: Master mass transit and everyday travel in Manhattan (and outlying boroughs) with the help of this easy-to-use app. I prefer it to HopStop, which requires Wi-Fi, AKA it won’t work when you’re underground.
- Pic Stitch: I’ve used another photo app for a while and ignored the growing Pic Stitch trend. Silly me, I didn’t realize the craze was merited with simple navigation and special features. I’m now a convert.
- This Quiz: OK, so it’s not an app. But I had to mention Tres Sugar’s on-point quiz to determine quotes from “Girls” and “Sex and the City.” The former returns to HBO this Sunday for season 2 and the latter is the definitive single-in-NYC series.
Stay tuned for more frequent updates, as we finally get Internet in the apartment this weekend! The joys of 21st Century living.