Do you feel that chill in the air? That’s because it’s the most wonderful time of the year! From the World Series and the throes of football seasons to a New York trip and HALLOWEENIE coming up, you could say I’m pretty pumped.
- Canceled Wedding Turned Heartwarming Story: This viral story from Sacramento details how a bride-to-be’s family turned her suddenly canceled wedding into a feast for the homeless. Whatever the groom’s reasons for not going through with the big day, there are more than 90 struggling people — and millions around the country — supporting the bride’s family and their selflessness.
- “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: I didn’t really know what to expect with this new show from the CW, but I certainly didn’t think there’d be a giant floating pretzel and musical numbers that had me in stitches. There’s just the right punch of comedic timing, unrequited love and jazz hands. It’s one to watch — literally. Catch it Monday nights at 8. Or I’ll fiiiind youuu.
- Laugh & Learn: Take a few minutes out of your day and check out this comedy bit from my Uncle Pat. He’d love your feedback to help hone his comedic chops — so do us all a favor and WATCH 🙂 Thanks, peeps!
- San Francisco Zoo: It only took me a year, but I finally made it out to the SF Zoo this past weekend. And just in time for Red Panda Day! The exhibits were interesting, the animals were playful & we had a great time exploring the wildlife brought to our city.
September is always a month that kicks my ass. Between five birthdays in the family, the anniversary of my dad’s death, and whatever else life throws at me, I can’t seem to keep my head above water. Luckily, I have a long vacation coming up this month (on the water) and can focus on the positive vibes that will surely bring.
- Fantasy Football: What else does this month mean? FOOTBALL. And because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve committed myself to three fantasy teams. And a survivor league. And a weekly pick ‘em. Too much? Never. Bring it on.
- Modern Romance: I love Aziz Ansari and can’t wait to see him perform live in October. Till then, I had to get my fix with his highly entertaining — and informative — take on dating in today’s day and age. It’s a must, especially for any man who “doesn’t get” why he’s striking out.
- Balboa Café: I ran into a friend on the bus last week and we determined it was high time to schedule a brunch date. This neighborhood spot introduced me to crab cakes eggs benedict, and was quite literally life-changing. I didn’t get to sample their famous Bloody Mary … all the more reason to return.
- “Gossip Folks” – Missy Elliot f. Ms. Jade & Ludacris: I love that Missy had a quasi-comeback during this year’s Super Bowl, but lately, I can’t seem to get this song out of my head. Maybe it’s the catchy beat. Or the (NSFW) ridiculous lyrics. Or the addictive video. Whatever the reason, I’m not mad about it.
Summer, as most people know it, is over. It’s time for back to school, final family vacations, and the holiday will be here in no time. Lucky for us in San Francisco, summer weather is just about to start. Even though it doesn’t come with more vacation days, I couldn’t be more pumped for some fun in the sun.
- Everything Is Perfect When You’re a Liar: Twitter queen and bestselling author Kelly Oxford has lived quite the life. She put together this compilation of unbelievable oh-no-she-didn’t stories, and it left me laughing — sometimes even scratching my head. It’s a quick, easy read and the cover art is awesome … what’s not to love?
- Just Dance: What happens when you have a bunch of people in their late 20s, all hopped up on wine and cheese? Apparently, it’s this game. We followed the suggested moves and made up our own, resulting in an absolutely ridiculous evening of goofs and giggles.
- Kelly Clarkson: I saw the American Idol herself perform this past weekend and was endlessly entertained. She speaks to the crowd like she would a close friend, and is just about the cutest pregnant performer ever.
- “Heartbeat Song” – Kelly Clarkson: Speaking of, Kelly’s recent releases have reignited my love for her multiplatinum career. This one is from her latest album, Piece by Piece, and sure to be stuck in your head soon enough.
While most of SF is recovering from its annual shitshow, Outside Lands, I’m recovering from my own shot nerves, lack of sleep and downright refusal to sit still. Let’s focus for the next few minutes, at least, on these:
- Poncho: I’ve had my eye on this delightful daily weather report for months, and it’s finally extended service to San Francisco! The forecasts are fun and factual, with equal parts story and sass. See if Poncho is in your area!
- Saving Grace: I’ve been reading more for fun lately, and this latest from seasoned storyteller Jane Green was a fast and easy-to-digest book. It made a six-hour flight more bearable, and it made me think about what people’s “perfect lives” really entail.
- Taco Bell Portraits: Brittany Nicole Creech is officially the most popular girl in America this week. Her senior portraits didn’t have your typical feather boa, fake rose and wistful expression — she took them at TACO BELL. Can you say #killingit?
- John Oliver Revamps Sex Ed: Speaking of high school, remember how awkward it was to learn (or not) about the birds and the bees from your inexperienced (or not) friends? John Oliver takes down the lack of sex education in America, and the crowning jewel is this star-studded video. Enjoy!
You know it’s been a crazy couple of weeks at work when you have recurring dreams … about work. The only way to combat such nonsense? Let’s start with these four highlights:
- “The Great Gatsby”: Despite touting its soundtrack as the best of 2013, I hadn’t seen the Baz Luhrmann masterpiece until recently. It’s a visual spectacle and takes F. Scott’s Fitzgerald’s narrative to explosive, extravagant new heights.
- Aziz Ansari’s Love Advice: I can’t wait to read the undoubtedly hilarious writing debut from Ansari, called “Modern Romance.” Till then, BuzzFeed graciously cooridinated a Q&A sesh that doesn’t disappoint.
- Warriors Win!: I was thrilled to have both of my Bay Areas in the playoffs recently, but sadly the Lightning didn’t pull through against the Blackhawks. Thankfully, the Warriors brought home a trophy for the first time in 40 years — what a sight to see!
- “GDFR” – Flo Rida f. Sage the Gemini & Lookas: This song should be in the dictionary next to “pump-up jam.” Whether you’re hitting the gym or the bar, you just feel like you can take on the world after hearing this one.
So this week was off to a pretty rocky start — close friends experienced heartache and loss, great people are leaving my company, and there was just a whole lot of other BS coming in.
Fortunately, though, my support system has identified things to smile about … and of course, the first step to lifting one’s spirit is music. These four faves are sure to make you smile. I guarantee it:
- “Fat Lip” – Sum 41: The album title is “All Killer, No Filler” and it sticks to that promise. Say what you want about these crazy Canucks, but this is a classic jam on my playlist and always makes me want to get up and dance.
- “Wannabe” – Spice Girls: I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want. It’s for this song to continuously be recognized as one of the greatest ever. Get any group of women together, and I dare them to not shake and scream-sing along.
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” – Whitney Houston: Sensing a theme? The best songs to get you out of a funk are the ones that get you moving. This one is my go-to for every wedding DJ — and it doesn’t disappoint. How could it? Just look at that hair!
- “I Love My Mama” – As Performed by Sean Hayes & Scott Icenogle: If you aren’t already following Sean Hayes on Facebook, then what the heck are you doing? Go now — don’t worry, I’ll wait right here. His latest creation is simply ameeeezing.
It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
Well friends, I’m visiting San Fran this weekend to find an apartment! I’m excited and anxious and hope to find something in a flash. It’ll all work out in the end, I know, but here’s what I’m focused on until my flight.
- Miracle Treat Day: Grab a treat from Dairy Queen this Thursday, and they’ll donate a portion of proceeds to cancer research. Helping others has never tasted so good.
- Hornblower Cruises: My office is having its summer outing this afternoon, aboard a mega yacht for more than a thousand people. Toot toot!
- Robin Williams: His death is heartbreaking, but not unheard of. The depression he suffered only magnifies how talented a performer he truly was. Rest in peace, Robin.
- “Dude Looks Like a Lady” – Aerosmith: Tough as it is to narrow down my favorite movie of his, “Mrs. Doubtfire” will always have my heart. The soundtrack alone was just perfect.
Maybe it’s the influx of new parents on my FB stalker feed. Maybe it’s missing my niece something fierce. Maybe it’s just that I have finally found a soft spot for (some) children.
Whatever the reason, here are some little nugs keeping me entertained this week:
- Allison: I’ve been obsessed with my niece for almost a year now — ask any of my friends — but I’m going through serious withdrawals lately. Just look at that faaaace. Do you wanna see 500 more photos? Inquire within.
- The “Apparently Kid”: This viral video features a young gingery boy who has the vernacular of an old-timer. His explanation of riding the super slide is to die for!
- Baby Cries Until You Let Her Rage to Katy Perry: My dear friend shared this video, because it reminded him of Allison. It’s reassuring to know I’ll be a great babysitter if it just takes pop music to make her happy.
- “Dark Horse” – Katy Perry: Well, obviously. I enjoyed the song (quietly) for some time, but I guess I can now make my obsession public. If it means it’ll stop a baby’s wailing, I’m all about it, KP.